Hammersmith Flyover closure, alternative route?

JaneB

Any forum people out there know if the closure of the flyover makes it just too painful to go from ED to Oxford by car? I had planned to take my elderly parents there for lunch on Thursday to visit a close friend but am feeling very nervous about setting off if we are going to have to sit in queues for hours to access the M40. Going by train isn't really an alternative given my parents' health issues, as indeed sitting in traffic for hours could be a step too far.

Be really grateful for any advice from more experienced travellers out west.

Thanks

Jane

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> South Circular to Kew Bridge -> M4 -> M25 -> M40.

>

> A better route even if the flyover is working.

I wouldn't recommend it... took me 40 minutes to get to Kew yesterday on the South Circular, and over 2 hours to get back (left Kew at 4pm).

It looked as though the traffic was worse west to east, as the traffic flowing east to west on the way back didn't appear to be so bad. The worst part was from Kew to East Sheen (an hour, could have walked it faster), then about a further half hour/45 mins to Putney where the traffic eased off as the diversion took the traffic back into London on the A219 (I think, not good with road names and numbers).

It might also depend on the time of day you are travelling, it's hard to tell. I was anticipating the traffic being a bit heavier on the way home, but nowhere near that bad. My father lives near Swindon, and we regularly do that journey as part of a trip back from his a little later on a Sunday and it'll take 2.5 hours.

We went on weds last week, went out via clapham, east sheen, Putney route and kew bridge and it was a disaster. Was about 10am and took around 90 mins of very slow traffic to get to the M4. Have done this route before and it's always been slow in my experience....single lane traffic through residential and high streets. On the way back we just took our chances on the hammersmith diversion and it took no extra time at all. (admittedly it was about 8pm though).The diversion is small and I imagine even with heavy traffic would be quicker than the longer alternative route.

Just to conclude the thread, went on A40/M40, out via Earls Court/shepherds Bush and the traffic was free flowing there and back. No congestion charge either, thanks to all who commented (on and off the forum) and hope I haven't made anyone else panic over what turned out to be an easy journey.

Jane

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• How did you get on up there?
    • My family had an appalling experience of Dulwich College and treated my young child in an extremely degrading and cruel manner. I’d like to leave this review as a warning to other parents who apply in good faith. We applied our neurodiverse child to 7+ and provided the documents from his medical team about necessary adjustments. We did this after DC spoke emphatically at multiple open days about their love and support and inclusion of neurodiverse students. Specifically Dr Griffiths saying he likes “spiky profiles”. However we were angry when after providing the documents as to the adjustments my son required DC failed to implement them, and failed to even allow him to complete 7+ assessments. When we asked them about it they were cagey and offensive. This included multiple discriminatory remarks made by Dr Griffiths which implied he was extremely ignorant about any kind of basic understanding of neurodiversity. Multiple members of staff including reception team and governors spoke in an extremely bigoted and offensive way about my child to me. We then filed a SEND4 and Dulwich College governors immediately changed their narrative about what had apparently happened during the 7+ assessment process. The discrimination continued when, by the time the SEND4 trial came round I was extremely unwell and the month before had to have an MRI to rule out possible cancer. We divulged that I was signed off and Dulwich College continued to discriminate against our family by refusing to postpone the hearing despite how unwell I was. This again perfectly exemplifies the dishonesty in all advertising materials from Dulwich College about any kind of integrity in the culture in the leadership team. We had benefit of the doubt at first that we were dealing with one or two nefarious individuals, but unfortunately I can vouch this involved Dr Griffiths and members of the governing body who had ample opportunities to rectify this and not break the Equality Act. In parallel because of this disgusting discrimination and the degrading safeguarding failures against our elder child during 7+ we withdrew our application for our younger child which by that time had been accepted. To this date Dulwich College are still refusing to refund our younger child’s deposit of £2,000 even though we gave more than a term’s notice he wouldn’t be taking the place. In short a wholly disgusting bunch of individuals who you probably don’t want anywhere near your children. Hope this review is useful and saves other families the pain of watching their child be harmed by dishonest and bigoted individuals who have no place in the education system in the 21st century.
    • Hello! Our fridge freezer just died and need a short term replacement while we wait for our new kitchen to be installed please   Thank you in advance. 
    • My flat pack furniture delivery slot was changed to this coming Monday and unfortunately my helper is not able to assist me with bringing 4 boxes (2 x 38kg, 2x 21kg) up one flight of stairs that day. Friends not wfh that day either and don’t think I can do it myself. So I was hoping someone living near Barry Road might be able to help out and come by (likely midday - 5pm, depending on  delivery drop off on the day) and help getting this upstairs in return for a small handling fee. It shouldn’t take more than 10min .  Please DM me if you know someone.
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In