Southwark policy on replacing dead trees in SE22

The Sunday Times reported that Michael Gove intends to bring in legislation obliging local councils to notify 'close' residents of any intention to remove urban and suburban street trees, and if sufficient (50% of those notified) objections are raised to undertake a full public consultation. I assume that diseased and damaged trees removed for H&S grounds would probably be exempt - I'd also guess this was stimulated by the actions of Sheffield council over the last couple of years, but many London trees seem arbitrarily to be removed as well. Southwark has a better record than some, but, if enacted, this should be good news. The S Times had noted that (under a FoI request), 110,000 trees had been removed by local councils over the last 3 years!

Thank you for all your work on this - we need trees more than ever with our air pollution, not to mention they brighten up every street. I think the work you're doing is brilliant. That's it, really - just wanted you to know how much it is appreciated. Happy New Year!

Southwark has lost more than a thousand street trees over the last few years, see attached. Some roads in ED like Copleston have lost as many as five trees recently. Saplings will take time to grow and in any event are often smaller species as rch has pointed out. This means a growing loss of tree canopy coverage.

The Mayor of London's Environment Strategy includes a target to increase tree canopy coverage across London, which is currently 20%, in recognition of its importance to reduce extreme summer heat, tackle air pollution and improve quality of life. A map of canopy coverage has been produced too:

https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do/environment/parks-green-spaces-and-biodiversity/trees-and-woodlands/tree-canopy-cover-map

Other boroughs like Hackney have ambitious plans to increase canopy to 25% by 2025, through a developing a Public Realm Green Infrastructure Plan. As you can't simply reforest the parks, this requires reallocating some space from car parking for bigger tree pits. While Southwark CPZ consultations appear to be recognising the opportunity to increase street greening, there does not appear to be any borough wide plan or target to increase the tree canopy.

Robin if you happen to speak to the tree officers there are a number of trees towards the top (Lordship Lane) end of Crystal Palace Road that could do with their basal shoots dealing with. There?s a stump that?s regrowing as a bush as well.

Hi robin, i went past peckham rye, and noticed that the lovely big willow tree has been cut down and the smaller one has been left. It used to look so beautiful. Whats happened ? The one near where the old lido swimming pool was. Also the tree destroyed opposite the chemist on lordship lane, outside the new restarant. Will it be replaced.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• They have. They asked in the original consultation. I’ve talked about it above. Around 3000 people (57% of a self selecting sample), were against the scheme. But the point you seem to be struggling with is that it wasn’t a referendum. We don't routinely have referenda on matters public policy in the UK (Brexit aside). We elect people to make decisions and then we judge the quality of those decisions in the round, and either re-elect them, or kick them out. That’s representative democracy. It’s not a good idea imo, but happy to listen if you do want to make the case for the routine use of referenda in matters of public policy. Not so much if you just want to use it selectively for a single issue you feel strongly about. Still ducking the question I’ve posed to you more than once now on claim of inadequate signage and intimidation of emergency services I note.
    • Sounds like you are running scared of the idea Earl, come now with so much debate over what is a consultation /referendum surly it's a simplel way of settling the argument 🤔 
    • Pot holes feel like they’re becoming more of an issue (based purely on my perception, don’t know what data there is). Even worse outside London imo. I suspect as Mal says, heavier vehicles are part of the problem (both SUVs, but also EVs which are generally heavier than ‘conventional’ cars), but regardless the council need to be more on it.  You can use the fixmystreet app to report them (and other street maintenance issues). 
    • Prior to the LTNs do you have many examples where the results of consultations were not acted upon? Seems to me the council is picking and choosing when they action the feedback from their constituents.......   Have you looked at the results from that, if not, tale some time to have a look, its quite enlightening..it seems the majority do not think the changes will have the desired effect....but you know it's not a refendum so the council has chosen to ignore the feedback of constituents. They must be assuming full responsibility for ignoring residents feedback- clearly they think they know what's best for us. If it all goes wrong let's see if they take responsibility!   Earl, here's a question for you (and i know you wont answer it but lets see)...why do you think the council has never asked a yes/no question to local residents about anything to do with the LTNs - wether they exist or whether we think the changes they have suggested (using our money) are needed/worthwhile? Or a consultation with a yes/no answer but we all know why. I still laugh that the council had to re-run the CPZ consultation with a yes/no answer and finally had to listen to their constituents...they took a hell of a spanking! They have been cheating the system for years and getting away with it. So does that not apply during consultations then? (P.S before you answer take a look at the definition of a consultation as provided by the Local Government Association).
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In