MMR - having a second booster?

spenny

My daughter had her MMR at 12 months and then a booster a few months later as recommended by our doctors during the 2008/09 measles outbreak in Southwark. She's now 4 and I've had conflicting advice as to whether she needs another (pre-school) booster. One nurse had thought not, but another nurse and a doctor have both said she probably does. I'd be really interested to hear what other parents have done.

My daughter had the same (1 MMR at 12 months and another shot a few months later) and is now 3.5yrs and due her pre-school booster. I was talking about it with the practice nurse as I booked the appointment and she confirmed that she's had her 2 shots of MMR so only needs the 1 pre-school booster which is the multiple deptheria/tetanus/polio one.

Maybe those you are speaking to are confusing the different jabs?

Yes, that's my understanding of the MMR as well. Some children don't respond (or produce a very low response) to the first immunization. Therefor the second MMR is meant to improve "blanket" immunity within the community, as well as catch those children who require a second jab for full immunity. A third MMR in the pre-school years shouldn't be necessary.

(Sometimes an MMR booster is recommended between 12-15 years old, esp'y if you are in an area where there has been a measles outbreak, b/c it has been found that immunity may have waned by the teen years for some individuals.)

Thanks very much for your responses. It's helpful. I thought I was discussing the MMR booster with the various doctors and nurses I've spoken too, but perhaps I have got the boosters muddled up. Hope so. Feel v nervous about 4yo having yet another MMR jab.