Ideas for chicken

Fuschia

Hi Fuschia

I don't eat meat either but I do cook meat for Baby (OK toddler...) Knomester. I find casseroles work well because I can include lots of veg and the chicken remains moist and tender. They also freeze really well. Recently I made one with leeks, sweet potato and butter beans. I find boneless thighs best for casseroles.

I also make a dish with chicken, rice, tomatoes, peppers and a little mild paprika.

I'm sure I make other chicken dishes but can't think right now off the top of my head!

Do let me know if you'd like me to PM any recipes.

Fuschia I'll send you a couple of recipes that I cook for Baby Knomester next week.

You can cook chicken in a sauce in the oven like sophiechristophy says. Instead of using a jar of salsa I would probably make a simple tomato sauce (onions, garlic, tinned tomatoes) with maybe some chilli if your children like spices food. I tend to make up big batches of tomato sauce for the freezer because it's so useful for lots of dishes or as a last minute standby sauce for pasta.

I love this which I get from Ocado: it's really cheap and adds a great (quite spicy) taste to loads of dishes:

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Cirio-Chopped-Tomatoes-With-Chilli-Tetrapack/53933011?from=search&tags=|20000&param=Chopped+Tomato&parentContainer=SEARCHChopped+Tomato_SHELFVIEW

Add soured cream to make it less spicy... it's a great cheat food!

You could marinade some drumsticks or thighs in a bit of honey and soy sauce and cook in the oven, quick and easy. Or for a super quick meal, put chicken breasts in a freezer bag and flatten with a rolling pin, pan or anything else heavy-ish. Then fry in a bit of oil, garlic, a splash of lemon and rosemary or sage. Annabel Karmel does a recipe for chicken and apple balls that I'm told is easy and popular with the kids but I haven't tried it myself. Alternatively, cut a chicken breast into strips, dip in egg then breadcrumbs mixed with some spices and cook in oven - I do this with fish too and it always goes down well. You can also cut up potatoes and root veg and roast in the oven with some chicken thighs, just throw it all into a pan with some oil, garlic and spices. Fajitas are fun too.

Tried chunks of breast baked with tomato sauce and mozzarella/cheddar then served with pasta. They are every scrap and were competing fir seconds. So that was a hit and very easy. Might try it myself with worn or some type of bean.

Will try drumsticks with honey next I think, with a stir fry

Chicken goes very well with pesto. You could try adding pieces of cooked chicken to pesto pasta or try flattening out pieces of chicken breast as described by Sandy and cooking in the oven with pesto to taste spread on top. P.s. Home made pesto is very easy and extra yum!

Fuschia, I have made this many times (even before we had a kid) and it is very tasty. Mr. F would like it to. 3.5 year olds should like it and the 13m, you could just cut up the chicken into smaller pieces and serve. Really very tasty and nutritious due to the quinoa added. One pot meal!

http://www.littlestomaks.com/2009/02/simple-recipes-chicken-with-quinoa/