Incident in Dulwich Park

ydrmdy

Hi, was anyone in Dulwich Park on Monday afternoon? Did you see an elderly man laying face down on the ground. People were trying to help with chest compressions until the ambulance arrived. The poor guy looked in a bad way and there was a lot of blood coming from his face. They worked on him for a good 20 minutes or so, but i left and i can't get him out of my head. Does anyone know what happened to him?

Aren't we taking 'respect for privacy' a little too far if the relatives of a man who died in a public place name him to millions in a newspaper...yet he is carefully referred to as 'Mr X' on a forum read by a few thousand?

it's a bit like the closing down of discussion on another thread, where it emerged that, apparently, a man had hanged himself in Sydenham wood. There, all discussion stopped after a posting that we should 'respect this persons privacy and allow the police to do their job'. If someone has hanged themselves in a public wood where I take my children, I'd like to know about it.

If we take this too far everyone will be anonymous, no deaths will be spoken about, and we won't be able to pin anything down.

*No-one's privacy has been disrespected in the production of this posting

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can understand calling him Mr.X.

> EDF threads sometimes go of at tangents.

> Not stating the persons name ensures that if this

> thread did go of at a tangent the family wouldn't

> feel powerless and as personal for them.

Exactly. I'm fairly new here but thia forum seems like a fairly close community. Personalising the conversation by adding Mr. X's name could make the family feel uncomfortable. Imagine, a group of friends is talking about someone's recently deceased relative and then send the transcript to them by post. Sure, you can do some research and easily find out his name but it's not about that.

Mike_B Wrote: ignore their comments obviously just looking for an argument. I agree his name should not be broadcast without relatives consent. Typicle easy Dulwich busy body's that's the reason the place gets a bad reputation.

> James Barber Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I can understand calling him Mr.X.

> > EDF threads sometimes go of at tangents.

> > Not stating the persons name ensures that if

> this

> > thread did go of at a tangent the family

> wouldn't

> > feel powerless and as personal for them.

>

> Exactly. I'm fairly new here but thia forum seems

> like a fairly close community. Personalising the

> conversation by adding Mr. X's name could make the

> family feel uncomfortable. Imagine, a group of

> friends is talking about someone's recently

> deceased relative and then send the transcript to

> them by post. Sure, you can do some research and

> easily find out his name but it's not about that.

Nicholas Spears Wrote:

> Aren't we taking 'respect for privacy' a little

> too far if the relatives of a man who died in a

> public place name him to millions in a

> newspaper...yet he is carefully referred to as 'Mr

> X' on a forum read by a few thousand?

> it's a bit like the closing down of discussion on

> another thread, where it emerged that, apparently,

> a man had hanged himself in Sydenham wood. There,

> all discussion stopped after a posting that we

> should 'respect this persons privacy and allow the

> police to do their job'. If someone has hanged

> themselves in a public wood where I take my

> children, I'd like to know about it.

> If we take this too far everyone will be

> anonymous, no deaths will be spoken about, and we

> won't be able to pin anything down.

> *No-one's privacy has been disrespected in the

> production of this posting

I would like to know more in the public domain about the man found dead in Sydenham Hill woods, and I did not know he hanged himself, it is not morbid or curiosity seeking, but if you live locally and walk through the woods, it is nice to know what is going on..

When a loved one has died in a public place, as my sister did in a hit and run incident, even though you want the culprit caught so they are not able to commit another crime, you actually desire more than anything privacy, not your relative named and becoming a public spectacle. As a family we denied any media interference as the media only sensationalise stories like this. The culprit was caught and justice was seen to be done without the media getting involved.

Give the man in the park and his family some privacy and as for the man in Sydenham park, I am sure this will not lead to a spate of hangings that you and your children may come across!!!

• 2 weeks later...