Opposite the Palmerston?

collemm

Loutwo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Superdrug sell a range of various top branded

> perfumes as well as more affordable ones.

> Including Creed btw. Not sure why you conclude

> those same brands are somehow not quality just

> because they happen to be sold by a high street

> chain? Hope we aren?t back to the old arguments of

> being seen to buy stuff from a small independent

> just so people can see you going in there,

> regardless of the price?

>

> Louisa.

I go to Roulier White for the expertise of the staff tbh-I like niche fragrances its my weakness and my twice yearly indulgence-the staff there are really knowledgable and passionate about perfume.

I'm not a snob but for me personally a lot of the regular brands are a bit too chemical smelling for me or have base notes I don't like.

I'd buy make up in super drug but would always choose Roullier white for perfume

Incidentally I'm not a rich person but a shop assistant some people book luxury holidays I love nice unusal fragrances

My problem with Superdrug is not that it isn't gentrified enough for ED, but that it is too gentrified.

It's post-gentrification blandness. For a start, who is even going to want to be seen to be in there?

This sort of uniform identikit shop arriving is a very dangerous precedent for the rest of the just-about-gentrified-enough-now-thank-you high street.

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> My problem with Superdrug is not that it isn't

> gentrified enough for ED, but that it is too

> gentrified.

>

> It's post-gentrification blandness. For a start,

> who is even going to want to be seen to be in

> there?

>

> This sort of uniform identikit shop arriving is a

> very dangerous precedent for the rest of the

> just-about-gentrified-enough-now-thank-you high

> street.

Well, there's already Cafe Nero, GBK, White Stuff, Sweaty Betty, Oliver Bonas and other chains. I think there's a pretty good mix of chains and independent shops at the moment.

I know what you mean, but I'd rather have Superdrug than the Londis which it is replacing. To the best of my knowledge, Londis didn't sell anything which you couldn't easily get elsewhere locally, whereas Superdrug will.

I just hope it won't affect Lloyds too much, but I mainly use Lloyds for prescriptions.

I won't be buying perfume, synthetic perfume makes me feel ill, so I use essential oils (now, I'd be happy to see Neals's Yard Apothecary open round here!)

Londis was a brilliant shop which had been part of the ED landscape since it?s 7/11 days and remained well used until recently. They sold the lottery, the biggest selection of papers and magazines anywhere in the local area, and more importantly were open until late. A rare thing around here.

Superdrug does not sell anything that independents, department stores and the likes of Neal?s Yard/Space NK do not already sell, but probably at a slightly cheaper price. It?s a chain, not everyone can afford independent prices, as much as they?d like to be able to support them. Why can?t we just be happy Superdrug has chosen our high street in a time when many high streets are declining rapidly.

Louisa.

Sue Wrote:

> Abe_froeman Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > My problem with Superdrug is not that it isn't

> > gentrified enough for ED, but that it is too

> > gentrified.

> >

> > It's post-gentrification blandness. For a

> start,

> > who is even going to want to be seen to be in

> > there?

> >

> > This sort of uniform identikit shop arriving is

> a

> > very dangerous precedent for the rest of the

> > just-about-gentrified-enough-now-thank-you high

> > street.

>

>

> Well, there's already Cafe Nero, GBK, White Stuff,

> Sweaty Betty, Oliver Bonas and other chains. I

> think there's a pretty good mix of chains and

> independent shops at the moment.

>

> I know what you mean, but I'd rather have

> Superdrug than the Londis which it is replacing.

> To the best of my knowledge, Londis didn't sell

> anything which you couldn't easily get elsewhere

> locally, whereas Superdrug will.

>

> I just hope it won't affect Lloyds too much, but I

> mainly use Lloyds for prescriptions.

>

> I won't be buying perfume, synthetic perfume makes

> me feel ill, so I use essential oils (now, I'd be

> happy to see Neals's Yard Apothecary open round

> here!)

Yes! Id LOVE a meals yard apothacary to open here I'd be overjoyed in fact!

I'd always go to Lloyds pharmacy for Pharmacy stuff over super drug but I find that Chemist on LL near the bus stop quite dreadful and REALLY overpriced! They wanted ?23.99 for something I knew I could buy at Lloyds for ?20.99 so I put it back and walked round the corner to Lloyds

Hi Louisa

I prefer to support the independents where I possibly can. It really has nothing to do with "being seen to go in there". Its more to do with getting the advice I need, when I'm buying a product. i have used Superdrug in the past, and the advice I was given wasn't helpful.

Loutwo Wrote:

> Superdrug sell a range of various top branded

> perfumes as well as more affordable ones.

> Including Creed btw. Not sure why you conclude

> those same brands are somehow not quality just

> because they happen to be sold by a high street

> chain? Hope we aren?t back to the old arguments of

> being seen to buy stuff from a small independent

> just so people can see you going in there,

> regardless of the price?

>

> Louisa.