Computer Virus Scam

Drxyster

Over the last few weeks I have had a number of phone calls telling me my computer is infected and that I should switch it on and they will talk me through a way of removing the infection. Needless to say I did not do this and ended the call.

On dialing 1471 the system told me the call came from a three digit phone number,049.Any info or advice welcome,I am very curious, the caller had a very bad line and seemed to have an Indian accent.

Hi Drxyster..

I posted in ans earlier Thread on this subject..

Yes they have called me many times. 3-4 times a week..

If I am bored I waste their time by going along with them..

They claim they are from Windows Support. They are not.

They say they are seeing errors from your computer.. They cannot see erors from your computer.

They Guide you through a few commands (They are Safe)(you can do these commands any time so you are familiar)

>Start

>Type Eventviewer in box.

>Click on Windows Logs.

>Click on System.

They ask you if you can see errors.. There will always be errors.. Not a problem Normal.

They tell you these errors are Viruses. They are not.

Then they tell you they do not need any password but ask you to type an address in your Browser.

You will then be asked to download a program.

These programs allow you to Invite people onto your machine and can be used by legitimate

Tech Support to help you sort out problems remotely.

These people are not Tech Support. They are scammers. They will say that you need to leave the link open

for some time so they can access your problems.

They have complete control of your PC and access to all your files and e-mail accounts

They will come back to you, advise you have problems and tell you that you need special Malware removal Software.

They will take your credit card details.

They may then guide you to a link that downloads further Malware or just keep your Credit card details

and steal your Money..

Just be careful.

Foxy

Many thanks Dulwich Fox.I think I may say I am on the computer, asked if I have "Windows" certainly lots of them in my home, very usefuil for seeing outside, also they let lots of light in during the daytime, also useful for telling what the weather is outside, gives us somewhere to hang the curtains. I will endeavour to keep him on the phone for at least half an hour or more, perhaps this will be enough of a deterrent to stop further nuisance calls.