history of east dulwich

Veejay

I grew up in East Dulwich and lived at 57 Underhill Road from 1943-1966. In 1972, the property was sold to a developer by my father (who is now 102 years old) and a block of flats was built on the site. I wondered whether anybody had photos of that part of Underhill Road before the flats were built. Our garden extended back from the house and then turned to the left, coming out in a lane off Belvoir Road. It was a large plot, extending behind 51, 53 and 55 Underhill Road and there was a magnificent walnut tree in the garden. I attended St Anne's Private School in Melford Road from 1949-1952 and Heber Road School from 1952-1954. I then passed the 11-plus exam and went to Sydenham High School from 1954-1961. I'm researching my past to provide some information from my grandchildren's history project and would be grateful for any contributions.

Hi Veejay.

Not quite a old as your Dad, but know the area well.

I have no pictures of you former home but can tell you that it has been replaced by flats number 59 has also been removed to make way for a nice green entrance to the buildings behind.

If you can pinpoint the walnut tree you might find it using the satilite button in this.

http://maps.southwark.gov.uk/connect/southwark.jsp

Was your father born in the area? I could look up the census entry for your father and his family in the 1911 census .. would be a good addition for the history project! PM the name and/or the address if you want me to find it for you.

Hi Veejay,

I also know the area well and was a neighbour of yours at the time (1945 to 1966). I vaguely recall 57 Underhill Road and well remember the lane from Belvoir Road ending at a large old house. There was a serious fire at that house one night, in which I believe an elderly lady unfortunately lost her life. There was a wonderful woodland space at the back of the gardens on that side of the road, ours included, in which to roam. This has now been built over. I do recall seeing a photograph which must have been taken from about where your house was, looking up Underhill Road, uphill in the direction of the cemetery. I think I saw the photograph on the wall in North Cross Road by the market not long ago, so it must be available from the Southwark archives. It is dated C1905. Good luck in your quest!

Thanks Freew8t. I believe I can see the walnut tree in the aerial view and the apple trees that lined our garden at the boundary with no.55. The OS map shows the fountain in our garden but the boundaries have changed so it doesn't show that our garden continued from the boundary with Belvoir Lodge down to Belvoir Road. Our house was what is now Ridge Court. Very interesting!

Sadly I haven't got any photos now, jimmah. We had some old black and white shots of the garden but they've been lost over the years. My dad used the fountain as a plant display. I don't think he realised it had once been a fountain and so he regarded it as a garden ornament. It was only when I saw it marked on the map that I realised it was actually a fountain. All those years and I never knew there was a fountain in my garden until I saw the map yesterday! You're right about no 59. It was huge but it was a block of luxury apartments with a huge driveway leading up to them. They were knocked down while we still lived there and rebuilt as a block of flats, which is still there now. The block at the end of our garden, Belvoir Lodge, burned down in a fire and was also rebuilt.