The New Routemaster

DulwichFox

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As it happens, old Routemasters continue to be

> employed around the world as tourist buses despite

> UDT claiming bus regulation as yet another area of

> expertise.

The concern was whether the new Routemasters meets international regulation. Your poor joke and old Routemaster argument are irrelevant. They're a poor attempt to recover from your misinterpretation of the BBC news story.

For the bus to function with an open platform they'll need conductors. Conductors costs money and could result in fare rises. I have always liked open platform buses but it remains to be seen if passengers are happy to pay the extra to fund conductors.

I haven't got a clue what you're talking about now UDT.

'International Regulations' are not a set of rules. It seems to have been used as a catch all by the BBC to describe regulations that might be found elsewhere and vary from country to country.

I'm afraid the error is yours not mine, although I'm aware that the idea of being wrong wil make you furious.

The largest regulations covering new buses are the ECE (European) directives. Many countries around the world use thse as a foundation, and then add or subtract from them until they're satisfied.

As you have seen by the adoption of the new Routemaster in the UK, countries are not compelled to adhere to them.

As with most regulations, they are subject to interpretation by precedent, and a new design such as the Routemaster is perfectly capable of proposing itself as a new standard and setting new rules. Both the manufacturer and TFL are confident this will take place.

It may well be that your extensive experience in 'international bus regulations' would be of use to them, so you should ring them up and offer your advice or set them straight.

Regarding the need for a second staff member, as I have already pointed out, the design can be used in a number of ways - either as a traditional front loader past the driver to issue tickets, or as a multi entrance vehicle commonly used around the world with card systems that also require no conductor.

Enjoy!

Incidentally UDT, you keep referring to the bus as an open platform bus, I take it you are unaware that the rear platform has doors?

It is entirely up to the country legislation, company policy or driver choice as to whether to leave them open or shut.

It does not impact upon the bus selection for export, it's simply an option.

Huguenot, you better take your argument to the Department for Transport and TfL as you think you know more than them with regards to regulations. Your short email could have saved their six months wrangling over the issue!;-)

I'm already aware on how the new bus functions and again your reply is irrelevant to my last question on bus fares rising to meet the costs in employing conductors.

The DoT and TFL seem perfectly well up on the regulatory environment, it's only the BBC London team and yourself that are loudly getting it wrong. Quite happy to set you straight old man :)

I've yet to hear the proposal on staffing, be glad to consider it if you've got anything? I don't see why they should require any more staff than a bendy bus, but I'm sure Chippy Minton and his union friends would disagree.