blocked access to my garden - tricky neighbour / dispute

Angelina

It's becoming an issue so I need to know where I stand.

I have a private front entrance to the flat (at the back of the property) and the back garden is only accessible via the side of the property.

There is a separate path down the side of the property, which belongs to the front flat. the tenant in that property uses the side path to store things and I have to keep asking them to clear it so it's safe access.

It's filled up with pallets, hosepipes, rubbish etc.

I've just asked their LL to get it cleared as I'm getting a kitchen delivered and was basically told to lift my stuff over it - and that they would want to attend when the delivery arrives as they do not believe it to be an issue and will move it temporarily if it is.

I expect to be able to get in and out of my garden without having to clamber over stuff or trip up.

Am I being unreasonable in requesting it is kept clear? Access is written in the lease with the Registrar.

Thanks

Angelina

Have you got access to free legal advice via home insurance or membership of a union/professional body? If so I would get initial advice through them, otherwise it maybe a question of a solicitor's letter to the owner if the tenant and/or landlord's agent are obstructing your right to access your property.

If you are a leaseholder you could also look at the advice guides on here: www.lease-advice.org. If you go to the contact us page there is a means of contacting them for advice appointment over the phone.

It may also be a health and safety issue, blocking access to emergency services etc. Check your lease but it is at the very least what would be considered as a shared access pathway, which would mean that you do have a right to ask for it to be kept clear. But as Ilona says, get some legal advice on how to proceed.