After school childcare - help!

I'm just wondering what people with school age children do for after school care. I started a new job (3 days a week) a couple of months ago and am still struggling to find after school care for my four year old son and 18 month old daughter, who is at a childminder until 4 o'clock. I've been able to cobble things together so far, begging favours from friends and my mother, and my husband is freelance so he's been on hand. But it's not at all sustainable and I'm now very, very desperate. I basically need someone to collect my son from school by car and my daughter on the way back and look after them at home until I get back from work at about 6.30. I think I've subscribed to every childcare website in the land but, as yet, to no avail. Does anyone have any tips? I had no idea it would be this tricky and am now thinking I might have to give up my job if I can't find a solution soon. The situation is slightly complicated by the fact that my son's school is a 15 minute drive away from where we live (near Ruskin Park) as we moved shortly after he started reception.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Alice

Can you find a childminder at your son's school who can pick him up and could your daughter move to that childminder instead - you could hand her over so to speak at morning school drop off? Would think that easier than bringing them back to your house, especially with long drive involved? Nanny share with someone else at school might also work though probably at their house rather than yours? Good luck with it - I remember when pregnant we thought it would all become easier when they go to school whereas in fact it gets more complicated...

Hi - yes, that might well be a solution. Problem is getting the children back from childminder near my son's school would mean not being home until abut 7 - which is something I want to avoid as they'd be tired and with all the faffing around I wouldn't get them into bed until v. late. Also, my daughter loves her childminder (as do I) and I'd rather not have to find another one. It's all such a pain...and I haven't even begun to think about what will happen in the holidays!

My oldest goes to After School Club. I pick up the little one from nursery first then drive to After School Club to get the big one. It's not perfect and I'm always feeling racked with guilt but I think that's a working mother's role in life. My daughter does enjoy the After School Club - to the extent that even when I am off work she often asks if she can go to After School Club anyway (I try not to be personally offended and rejoice in the fact she doesn't have issues with it!). This obviously doesn't resolve your issue of not getting them home at a decent hour although that hasn't been as much of an issue for us as I thought it might be.

School holidays are the biggest challenge for us at the moment.

I think I'd try for Fuscia's suggestion, with the new childminder nearer school option as back up. If need be pick your daughter up in her pjs so if she falls asleep on the way home in the car you can easily transfer her to bed. It is a later finish but they do adapt - my two have always been with a childminder til 6pm at least part of the time & as they get older bedtimes soon move later anyway.

Good luck, hope you manage to sort it.

Xx

How about asking one of the teaching assistants at your son's school - timing would work and more likely to be able to go to your house. Also likely to appreciate a bit more cash and might be able to help with holidays...

womanofdulwich Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> if you possibly can get an au pair- even if it

> means losing a room to them.

I think the littlest one would be too young to be looked after by an Au Pair. I believe a child needs to be two before they can be left alone with an Au Pair.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I will definitely have a look at the possibility of asking one of the school's teaching assistants, and see if any of the other parents fancy setting up sone sort of swap.

Thanks again.

Alice