Waiting List for secondary schools!

Hi. I'm new to the forums, so please be gentle LOL

I was just wondering if anyone has received any offers from any borough's secondary school waiting list?

My son got a place in Westminster Academy ( my third choice ) I don't know why I put that school down, I just assumed that because it was in Westminster it was a good school, how wrong was I, the school is on Harrow road ( 1hr 20min travel ) In one of the most poorest area of London where 90% first language is not English, I never for one moment thought my son would get it in due to the distance, so I never bothered to check the school out, it was only after getting the offer did I find this out. I reinstated my fifth choice ( Harris boys East Dulwich ) on march 16th, he shot up the list to no 1 in band 6, then last week Monday, He was no 25, on Wednesday to my surprise, southwark admissions left a message with a offer for Harris Boys East Dulwich.

Anyone else had any luck on the waiting list?

Congratulations, Harris Boys is a school with a great reputation (and outstanding ofsted). You must be relieved. Not sure what info you want regarding secondary admission. Would advise you to accept asap.

Thank you Prickle! Yes I accepted the next day LOL..

I just wanted to know if anyone else had received a offer from being on the waiting list ( any schools) I've read previous posts on here where some year 6 didn't get the school of their choice, one twin got in one and the other didn't get in the same school etc. Just wanted to see if anyone else who was in my position ( not happy with first offer or didn't get one ) had received a offer that they were happy with, I know how stressful the whole process is, the waiting and not knowing what's going to happen!

Some waiting list movement in our yr 6: one into Kingsdale, one into Forrest Hill Boys and twins placed in separate schools immediately transferred to the preferred of the two schools when school alerted to what going on.

I have been pleasantly surprised by how it all works. However still know of some stuck unhappily with their last choice.

Having gone through it this year I would say to all visit every school you put on your form; guessing sammi30 would now agree. Sammi30 you are not alone though, I know others that put random schools down too and then got them.

I would also suggest to those applying for next year you are better off with an unwanted school on your doorstep whilst waiting for a place to come up elsewhere than traveling any great distance to an unwanted school.

Just to give an idea of how quickly schools turn round and improve, we put Harris Girls as the 6th and unwanted school 3 years ago. I didn't even bother visiting as its reputation was poor, but thought safest to fill all slots with local schools. 3 years later, Harris Girls gained an ofsted outstanding.

Hi Sammi30, I'm glad that you have a school you are happy with. I have had alot of postive feedback about Harris Boys. Something to consider when applying to schhols far away, if you child ends up going there, they may find it difficult during weekends and holidays when they can't meet up with friends from school as they live miles away.

I do suggest that parents go in year 5 and visit schools. That way you can whittle down a larger pool to a manageable one to visit in year 6 with your child in tow. With all of Southwark's secondary schools being Academies/administering their own admission's policy, there is such variation on admissions that unless your child is a younger sibling or has a statement, it may be very unclear where they may get a place. This is why it is important to find 6 schools for your form.

With the Harris schools, it is worth remembering that from age 16, the boys and girls will be attending a mixed sixth form.

Renata

• 1 month later...
Hi, congrats you have made a great decision, I am a student at the academy and I started in the first year - now in year 9 - Harris boys is well disciplined, the teaching is great, the staff are understanding and our students are friendly, the schools aim is to make 100% progress per student, each student will have a mentor and will be checking to keep track, students make 4 sub levels high within the year and if your son does not, they collapse his timetable to give him more hours of the lessons he is struggling in so he can get his grades, this will help him to achieve what grades he needs so he is ready for KS4 - and I believe his year group will be the last ever to do GCSEs as the government are planning to bing back O level GCE - Harris boys provides you with fantastic experiences and trips and almost all of them are free i.e I have been to the UKSA at Isle of Wight and this year I am going to thorpe park, students also go to resedential sport trips (pay for) and this year they have been skieeing to Spain, there is a bright future waiting for you son and as I am a learning commissioner I will help to welcome him in the school and make him settle at our academy