High Chair advice?

Hi,

We have been given Stokke but although stylish it looks really uncomfortable to me( and I find the accessories overpriced-you can buy a new one for the price of a cushion and a tray).We will keep it ,but I am looking for a new cosy one.I had a look but there are too many to choose from?What about Chicco ?Please help with some advice.Many thanks

Hi. We have a chicco happy snack. It has its down and upsides. It seems quite comfy, even when they are just getting the hang of sitting up. It also seems quite sturdy and secure, so I feel confident popping out to the kitchen whilst the child sits in it (only a consideration if you have separate small kitchen and have to go in and out I suppose).

On the down side, after 3 years and 2 occupants, I still - forget which bits recline it and almost fold it by accident whilst they are sitting in it - find it v awkward to put up after folding - find it very annoying to clean (fabric edgings around wipe clean areas, lots of akward books and crannies).

For us though being able to safely while they're in it overcomes all these annoyances, as with something climb out able it would be impossible to function with a separate kitchen and dining area.

When I had my 1st child I bought a Chicco highchair based on rave reviews on Babycentre type websites. Complete waste of money - he was comfortable, but it was massive, pretty hideous and near on impossible to clean! I cut my losses, gave it away (couldn't sell it) and got a Tripp Trapp which is still going strong nearly 5 years on, and we bought a 2nd one for our daughter. Well worth the money and have good resale value too.

I'm going to get one of the basic white Ikea ones for #3 to use in the interim until I can convince my 5 year old to relinquish his Tripp Trapp, they are small, practical and easy to keep clean (and cheap!)

We have the tripp trapp and bought second hand cushions from the forum because I agree they are very expensive, worth posting an ad to see if anyone is selling. With the cushions on they seem very comfy and I liked the fact that it could be adjusted to fit her height etc when necessary. My 15 month old now has it without the cushions and doesnt seem to mind.

I'm thinking about getting the tripp trapp too, but is it only suitable for tables of a certain height?? If so, what height? Am guessing I won't be able to use it at the breakfast counter in the kitchen... unless you can get a separate tray?

We have just started using the Tripp trapp as a high chair (had the newborn seat up until now)

Happy with it so far. Didn't bother with cushions. Drf check with height of your table.

Baby also likes sitt g in the idea antilop at friends houses, so that is a good buy I think.

Tripp trapps are great. I agree they may not be as suitable if your baby is quite small and not sitting well at 6m - my youngest has been in his since about 8m and no cushions (cleaning? why?!?) and has always been fine. No, they wouldn't reach a breakfast counter just standard table height - we have a phil and teds 'me too' clipped onto our island unit in the kitchen.

The ikea basic is great - especially with the infant inflatable insert - means they sit upright and no gaps for things to fall down. I think there was a baby bjorn highchair which looked great too - and folded.

Basically any of the padded ones are a faff to clean. I don't understand the ones that recline - why would you want to recline a child at the table?!? And I have always found ones with buggy like shoulder 3 point harnesses really restrictive in terms of the baby sitting up properly.

We never used a harness either, and cushions for about a week before I realised that although they looked pretty they weren't practical from a weaning/mess/constant cleaning perspective. Not necessary at all.

I have also used the Ikea Antilop and tripp trap, this was for a very strong baby that was able to sit up well and we went down the path of baby led weaning, as others have said the cushions seem ridiculous as they would just need to go in the wash after every (very messy with BLW) meal. Also, the idea of the Tripp Trapp is that the baby sits at the table with the family, hence why it does not come with the tray. Apart form the baby set, there really are no other accessories needed in my opinion (even the straps I would say most children would not need and they are a faff unless you have a serious Houdini)

The Antilop I would say is great for 6m+, and the big tray is fantastic for early stages of BLW, and I would say a couple of months later in my opinion for the tripp trapp (although would also be fine from 6m really if you only wanted to buy one chair).

If you are weaning earlier than 6 months and spoon feeding, I can see why these high chairs would not appeal to you.

Convex Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How did you adjust it?

> My son (6mo) stands and tips forward. I don't

> think he would actually fall out, but you never

> know.

You adjust the depth of the seat ad the position/depth of the foot rest. I'm sure there are diagrams online. My 15m old absolutely cannot stand. Should keep most houdinis in - but if the child is tiny/agile maybe not!

Have to second another vote for the phil and teds me too as a travel high chair that is also really useful at home so you're getting 2 bits of equipment for the price of one! Also like hellosailor the bar on our chair hits the edge of the table but its not a problem that it doesnt go underneath.

We have a tripp trap and also a Cosatto Noodle (so he can sit upstairs while I do chores, or we can take it to his grandparents because it's easier to pack) and it's great - softer than the tripp trap and more adjustable for a smaller baby.

The trip trap harness drove me mad until I cut the shoulder straps off it to turn it into a lap belt. Don't always use it now that he can climb up and down on his own but it's still sometimes useful for thawrting escape attempts half way through a meal!