Reusable nappy problems

I bought a kit of bum genius version 4 nappies before my son was born with the best of intentions. I used them once he was born (8 pounds) and they leaked. I'm sure I fitted them properly etc and used a disposable liner as well.

Because of the leaks, I gave up.

Now he's a year old, I am trying to use them again but despite fitting them as tightly as I'm comfortable having them, they still leak..

Can anyone give me some suggestions. I've always washed them as per the instructions to maintain their waterproof outers..

Would be a shame not to get the use out of them.

Thanks.

I part time cloth nappy and love BG v4, hardly ever experience leaks unless I leave them on too long (3+ hours). I use the popper ones and they are snug fit on the loosest setting for my 21 month old but not crazy tight.

Have you tried boosting with microfibre inserts? And also do you wash them with anything like detergent or napisan which can damage absorbency? I use bambino mio nappy santiser which seems really gentle plus I do an extra rinse cycle.

Sure others will have more ideas!

They don't last very long. Maybe I'm not changing them often enough..poor boy feel asleep the other day and woke up wet through, and his cot.

are the microfiber inserts the ones that go in the pocket? I have those and don't overwash them, I do extra rinse, but have used non bio on them.

Thanks for your advice. I think they fit his shape, but tend to leak around the legs.

I often had leaks around the legs when my baby was younger as he had quite skinny legs. Not so much now he is a bit chunkier though.

Re washing, I do a prewash with no detergent, then a wash with sanitiser and 1/4 the normal amount of detergent. I don't use any boosters but we are only at the 6 month point so I'm sure will need to start at some point!

I def think that my reuseables need changing more often than disposables. But you should be able to go for 3 hours or so without a leak.

It might be worth emailing someone like the nappy lady for her thoughts? She is also on Facebook.

I use cloth, have done on all 3 children. I get at least 3 hours out of my two part nappies (Bambinex and Easy Peasy's) and up to 3 from my all in ones (Blueberries and Itti Bittis). Two part systems are a lot more reliable due to the wrap going over the top of everything, but I do prefer pretty all in ones :)

I've always found wicking round the legs the biggest problem with all in ones, but it's never been too bad.

I do a prewash with mine, and put them on a 60 degree wash with bio detergent.

If you decide to add a booster, try some bamboo ones - I find my bamboo nappies far more absorbant than cotton or micro fibre (although slower to dry).

Good luck.

I've never found microfibre inserts very absorbent, and didn't get on well with BG V4 for my boy. I think it was because of the insert rather than the waterproof outer, because I think the BG flips and organics are great. You could try using them with a bamboo insert or booster as Pickle suggests. Also, when you wash, only use a fraction of the recommended amount of detergent. I do a 30 quick was first with no detergent to rinse the nappies, then a 60 degree wash with about a tablespoon of powder bio detergent (daz), and then sometimes an extra rinse if required. I find if you use too much detergent that can make the nappies more leaky. It's definitely worth trying out a few different types to see which works best for your baby. If you want some bamboo boosters I have a few I don't use (like new) that I'd be happy to sell on cheaply.

What liner do you use in the nappy, and does it ever stick out the edge around the legs? That can make them leak as the wee just wicks out the side rather than absorbing into the insert.

I use the main insert and newborn insert at the same time in BumGenius v3 on my daughter and did the same on my son. I found they only went about 1.5-2 hours without the double stuffing. She does look like she has a huge bum, tho, as a result...