longer sociable cycle ride Sat Sept 21st starts 9.30am

Sally Eva

This ride starts at Canada Water near the library in Deal Porter Square (SE16 7AR). That's just across the road from the station which on the Overground. From East Dulwich there's flat access to the train network and then just across the platform to access the Overground at Peckham Rye. Big lifts at Canada Water tube. If you'd rather cycle (and why not)a "how to" map is here:

This will be the usual easy-paced ride on mostly quiet streets and paths but going further in order to see more of the world. The leader will be Jamie who will take you along the south side of the Thames to Woolwich and back along the north side. Lots to see and pretty much flat.

From Canada Water riders will head to the Thames and join the Thames Path (National Route 4) to Cutty Sark where there will be a stop there at 10am so that additional riders can join us. The enlarged group will continue on Thames Path (now NR1) past the O2 and the Thames Barrier to Woolwich. There they will take the Ferry (or Foot Tunnel if we just miss one?) to North Woolwich and cycle over the Sir Steve Redgrave Bridge to the path along the north edge of the Royal Albert Dock past the London Regatta Centre, parallel to the runway of London City Airport.

The route continues along Victoria Dock to Siemens Crystal Cafe where there will be a coffee break, then over the Lea Crossing to Trinity Buoy Wharf. Another brief look round, then more Thameside path to Blackwall, a bit of road before returning to the Thames at Cubitt Town and round to the Greenwich Foot Tunnel. Then back through the Tunnel for about 1pm. Some riders will leave there and and the rest will carry on to finish at Canada Water around 1.30pm.

In case that's not enough for you there will be more riding and enjoying London the following day when the capital celebrates Car Free Day (we're on Sunday Sept 22nd now). This will be based, 11am to 2.30pm, at The Needle Sculpture, 1 London Bridge Walk, SE1 2SX with rides and games around the 20km car-free area. We will be organising some small competitions on Tooley St to test cycling skills, (slow cycling, races, track standing, limbo) (these won't be compulsory. Please bring any equipment for street games, e.g. tennis or badminton rackets and shuttles/balls, in case we get bored with cycling (unlikely, but we might just fancy a quick game of something else).

We are asking you to sign up at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/southwark-cyclists-car-free-day-tickets-72845110687 so we have an idea of numbers and can do enough planning. Best info about events planned by the Mayor is at https://www.london.gov.uk/events/2019-09-22/reimagine-your-city-car-free. More info about our activities at https://southwarkcyclists.org.uk/london-car-free-day/

These events are brought to you by Bruce Lynn and friends on behalf of Southwark Cyclists. We are the borough branch of the London Cycling Campaign which campaigns for safer cycling in London. You can contact us on [email protected], tweet us on @southwarkcycle, or contact Bruce on 07729 279 945. Like everything we do it's all free and open to all.