Going to Kefalonia with a toddler - any tips?

prm

HI all,

We are soon off to Kefalonia with our 20 month old and it will be our first time in Greece (well in fact our first holiday abroad with toddler, apart from visiting grandparents in Spain). I will be 6.5 months pregnant too.

Has anybody been to Kefalonia/ Greece and can offer some tips on what to do / where to go / what to avoid / what to bring with you / what local food to eat and not when you are pregnant.

In fact any tips whatsoever on travelling to a beach destination with a toddler will be most welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Tips...

Bring blackout lining to put on windows. Although usually there are shutters/curtains they don't block out the sun and kids wake up super early...

Avoid going out when sun is very hot 12-3 pm - do as the Greeks do and have a siesta (I used to HATE that as a child). We usually go swimming at 10 am and then again at 3.30 - spend most of the day on the beach.

If you are using formula the brands available in Greece may be slightly different. Use bottled water to make it. Drink bottled water in general when you are on the island. Bring water whenever you go out.

Beware that most Feta cheese is not pasteurised - having said that I don't know a single Greek mum who stopped eating it during pregnancy and that includes myself.

You may need a certificate from your doctor that you are ok to fly. I was only 4 months along when we went once and the staff at Gatwick were being very suspicious when I said I was only four months (I was showing early). Take your notes with you.

Sure you will have a good time - enjoy!

Kefalonia is sooo beautiful, you will love it. Brave going with a little one though, it is very hot and quite spread out in terms of driving around cliff tops if you want to visit sites like Myrtos beach (may have spelt that wrong, sorry!). We hired a car just for a day as it was so tiring driving around. Car window blinds might be a good idea, our hire company didn't provide them.

The sea is lovely and warm to swim in too. I'd imagine you'll spend most of your time playing on the beach (Get some buckets/balls etc from a local mini market, they all had a selection of beach toys).

I was pregnant when we went and found it best to get out of the sun for the middle part of the day. Most of the restaurants serve typical Greek fare. It is really pricey for meals out but if your toddler will eat fish/meat with rice/pots and salad you won't have a problem. I didn't notice separate kid's meals especially. I would probably take your own formula if you use a particular brand. I avoided Greek salads because I was worried about feta, but wish I hadn't bothered as all my pregnant friends continued to eat Greek salads on holiday in Greece! Try the Stifado and Kefalonian meat pie...delicious!

Definitely take pregnancy notes.

Enjoy!

Which bit of Kefalonia are you going to? The very North-eastern tip is one of my absolute favourite European spots - around Fiskardo and the coastline facing Ithaca. The water is crystalline and totally flat - I don't think I've ever seen anything like it outside of the far east / indian ocean. It's perfect for paddling toddlers and just mesmerising for everyone. But, the beaches on this side / end of the island are almost exclusively pebbly, so Crocs or similar for the whole family are a must. If you are staying at this end of the island, my favourite beach is Foki Bay - a tiny cove with a beach, plenty of shade, a small taverna, and very very picturesque.

The last time I went my son was about 8 months old and I think we went around end June - I don't remember it being too hot (although I love the sunshine) and because our villa had hugely thick stone walls, it was mercifully cool inside for sleeping. We took binliners as well as our travel blackout blind.

Enjoy! Oh, and Kefalonia produces some of Greece's best wine - the local grape is Robbola (sp?) and the best vineyard on the island is called Gentilini if you want to look out for it in the shops / on wine lists.

I think one of the parts Norfolkvilla might be talking about is Assos, which is one of the most beautiful fishing villages/paddling spots I've ever seen! Went there in 2003 and would love to go back. We didn't stay in Assos but definitely worth a day trip (or several) as just so gorgeous! Have a great time! x

Wow, thanks for all the tips! We are actually staying in the southern part of the island near Skala - I booked it in a bit of an impulse without knowing anything about the island, but the plan is to get out in the morning and spending the day exploring the island, best beaches and towns etc. so we will make sure we go to Myrtos, Fiskardo, Foki, Assos etc.

Do the beaches have showers in them and are there shady spots generally or should we purchase our own parasol?

Do restaurants have highchairs?

Thanks!!

prm: we went last year to the southern part of Kephalonia near Skala, staying in a villa with my 18mo and another family. It was a lovely holiday although we did have a wasp problem. It was a different time of year though (Sept, so you're prob fine) and I think our villa was near a nest.

The beaches all have sun loungers and parasols. Sand is nice and water is nice in the south.

Restaurants are great. You'll have the option of either pizza or Greek tavernas. The Greeks love kids are v relaxed and accommodating. Most restaurants have high chairs too. If not, it's not a problem. The Greek waiters will entertain your child or carry them round while you eat.

One disappointing thing for us was that you couldn't buy fresh fish in the south of Kephalonia as I think the main fishing port is Fiskardo in the north. This all depends if you are self-catering.

Go to Assos for nice little fishing village, and walk up the sigzag winding path to the top of the village for lunch at a really nice taverna. Worth the walk. We didn't get to Fiskardo as it is quite a long way with winding roads from Skala. But we did spend the day in Assos which was great and went to Myrtos Beach (en route to Assos).

Have a great holiday

I went to Skaka (just outside exactly a year ago. Stayed in the San Giorgio hotel (which I'd recommend)

As others have said, it's a pretty island, great beaches, friendly people. I would recommend a trip to the taverna/restaurant up the mountain in Old Skala as the views are genuinely stunning. It's a long uphill walk, so a car/taxi would be a good option. It's worth it once you get there though, especially to watch the sun go down and the stars come out. The restaurant Old Timer, which is about a 20 minutes walk from Skala, is a delightful, family-run restaurant and provided probably the best meal we ate during our holiday.

Lovely hotel, lovely island. I'd happily go back to both.

I just got back from Kefalonia a few days ago. My family is from there and I ve going there every summer since I was a baby.

It is a great place for a holiday with beautiful beaches, great food and wine (try the sklavos winery for something interesting!)

Blinds and crocks are good suggestions, but I would also make sure to have mosquito repellent too. My 16month old and my husband were bitten quite a lot this year, tho it didn't seem to bother the little one at all!

As for food, my little one ate what we ate, though bear inind that Greeks do add lots of salt to food... The local meat pie is a must, as well as fried courgetes with tzatziki. As for the water, we all drank tap water there - just check that it is drinkable with the hotel...

Enjoy! X

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks for all your tips!

We are back from Kefalonia and had a wonderful time. I just wanted to add my own feedback in case anyone is considering it for a family holiday...

We stayed in a small secluded beach off the beaten track near Skala called Karminia beach and it was absolutely wonderful. Skala was a lovely little resort with plenty of restaurants and not too crowded (in June). The whole geography of Kefalonia was amazing, the mountains, the water, the plants and flowers...unfortunately we did not get as far as Assos and Fiskardo, as the little one was getting too carsick but the south coast is beautiful and we really enjoyed staying around there and chilling out. The coastal drive between Skala and Poros was breathtaking, and we did make a little day trip to Melissani Cave and Antisamos beach both worth a visit. Dinner at the taverna in Old Skala with the views was a great tip!

On a practical note Baby & husband both did get fried up by the mosquitos (I think just because there is so many plants and water around there and we slept with the balconies wide open / no mosquito nets) so I would go as prepared for that as possible).

All the properties we saw around the area were beautiful, had great sea views & swimmingpools,were surrounded by lovely plants...although it has been built in the past 10 years or so, it has been done very tastefully and there is no big apartment blocks etc just villas and small resorts with a handful of apartments.

Wonderful..highly recommended!