Nursery Visit - Advice Needed

Hi Everyone

Hoping for a little advice. I've been told my son has a place at Dulwich Nursery (in Sainsbury car park) which is exciting news. We're due to go visit in a weeks time but I'm not really sure what questions I should be asking be a first time mamma. Anyone have any advice for things to look out for or to ensure I ask?

Thanks so much

Adelle x

Hi

I would definitely ask to see their programme of the day so you get an idea of how and when they get the children to sleep, food times etc. What is a 'typical' day like?

Do you need to provide nappies, milk etc

You can look at their ofsted report before hand but can ask to see it

How many children at any one time and what is the staff ratio to children

how do they communicate with you - with regard to what they have eaten, when they have slept etc

Are the staff all CRB checked

How long have the staff been there? (and importantly do you get a good feeling from them)

Look around - is the place well organised and clean? Do the children look clean and cared for?

What is the parental involvement? eg do they celebtate birthdays or have get togethers for parents?

Is there a quiet area for napping and will it suit you child?

Security

Is there an outside space and how is it used / how are they supervised?

What is the food menu? (a typical menu for a week)

I hope these aren't too obvious - I found it was best to go on a gut feeling - if you like the people working there and it feels right then that's a good start. Good luck!

Suzanne

• 2 weeks later...

Whether you have to sign in on arrival (if not forget it as their security is too lax), arrangements for changing pick up person/verifying id at pick up (somewhere I asked told me they went by whether the child was happy to go with the adult) and check all aspects of safety as you go around. If you see anything unsatisfactory at all, forget it. This is a visit where they are trying their best and you can be sure it is more lax when people are not visiting.

Staff turnover - v important, again forget anywhere with a high turnover as the hildren will not bond, the adults are discontented for some reason and you cannot trust them to the same extent as those where the staff have been for years without incident.

Cleanliness and hygiene - loos etc.

Then and only then would I be asking about superficial things like programme of events.