Am 34 weeks and starting to get period-like cramps? What does this mean?

Lula

I am pregnant with my second baby and didn't experience this last pregnancy (that I can remember anyway!). Can anyone else tell me whether these are Braxton Hicks (not sure I had these last time either) and does it indicate anything like a pre-term labour? So not ready for baby no 2 yet. Haven't got anything ready or out of storage so just want to be prepared. Am seeing midwife this Friday so will also get her advice, obviously, but just wondered what others have experienced.

I had labour like cramps from 32 weeks with both pregnancies, and delivered both my babies at 38 weeks.

However, I would call and see a midwife today or go to the maternal assessment unit at Kings to get checked out. I went a couple of times to be monitored just to make sure that everything was OK. The maternal assessment unit is a walk in clinic, so you can just call them up and then come in.

How strong is the pain? If the cramping is strong enough that you feel you want to take paracetamol, then I'd agree you really need to see someone today. You can also speak to someone at NHS direct who can assess you over the phone (tel. 0845 4647; https://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/About/ContactUs.aspx), and recommend a course of action (maybe nothing, b/c you're probably fine, but it's good to be safe!)

I definitely had cramp like feelings in the last trimester, and it was nothing. I was told that Braxton Hicks are usually felt as a topdown sensation from the top of the unterus towards to the cervix, but mine was nothing like that. Mine was from the base of uterus upwards and felt like mild period pains, never lasted more that on/off a few seconds at a time.

Hi, don't worry too much I think it can be quite normal to get cramps with Braxton Hicks contractions (I get them sometimes and haven't done anything about it) but don't hesitate to call your midwife today for advice & reassurance, that's what they are there for.

If at any point you have strong cramps with any bleeding head down to the Kings Maternal Assessment Unit (A&E if they are closed) straight away. I had this at 34 weeks on my first pregnancy and my midwife stupidly said to me "is it more than an eggcup? if not it's probably normal but if you are worried you can go to the MAU". Of course I was worried!!! And luckily I did go to the MAU as they examined me and the blood seemed to be coming from inside the uterus in which case they may have had to deliver the baby straight away. They kept me in for 24 hrs for observation and baby was fine so all ok in the end...but my point is, trust your instinct and if at any time you feel something is wrong go to the MAU and don't worry about making a fuss, better to be safe than sorry!

Am going to pop into Kings MAU this pm to check. I wouldn't classify the pain as severe, just mild like the first signs that my period is on its way. It comes and goes but isn't regular and I haven't had to take anything for it. Can feel baby kicking occasionally so that's a good sign. Thanks for all the reassurance and advice ? you are all super for taking the time to respond to me!

xx