EU Trade Talks Thread

keano77

It seems to be "Deutschland ?ber alles" once again as far as EU solidarity on vaccine procurement is concerned.

It has been disclosed that Berlin ordered 30M doses on the quiet back in September in contravention of the EU procurement strategy.

If the 27 EU members can't trust each other to adhere to an agreement what does this say for the Brexit agreement going forward?

Can we call this German "Exceptionalism"?

I've read that exceptionalism is apparently a very bad thing in the context of the United Kingdom (or even just England mostly)...so im sure the'll be plenty of folk along in a minute to berate the Germans....

I agree that its certainly not 'because' of brexit....

But it it does seem reflective of some level of dysfuntionality within the European Union as a political body/force....which may have been a factor in some people's decision to vote leave.....

I thought immigration, ?sovereignty?, and ?financial benefits? were the reasons people voted Brexit.

Never saw anything in Daily Mail or Facebook about European Union being dysfunctional !

TheCat Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I agree that its certainly not 'because' of

> brexit....

>

> But it it does seem reflective of some level of

> dysfuntionality within the European Union as a

> political body/force....which may have been a

> factor in some people's decision to vote

> leave.....

KidKruger Wrote:

> I thought immigration, ?sovereignty?, and

> ?financial benefits? were the reasons people voted

> Brexit.

> Never saw anything in Daily Mail or Facebook about

> European Union being dysfunctional !

>

> TheCat Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I agree that its certainly not 'because' of

> > brexit....

> >

> > But it it does seem reflective of some level of

> > dysfuntionality within the European Union as a

> > political body/force....which may have been a

> > factor in some people's decision to vote

> > leave.....

Well.....I mentioned it at the time, but then again, I don't get my news from the Daily Mail or Facebook...i'd advise you branch out a little KK.....

Sephiroth Wrote:

> I'm not aware of any political body/force that

> doesn't have some degree of dysfunctionality?

> Happy to be corrected on that one

Sigh....perhaps this one you can just acquiesce on given you're basically agreeing it shows dysfunctionality? Further, many remainers admitted at the time (and since), that teh EU was 'not perfect'....but on balance their preference was to work on changing it from within. For other's they might have chosen to cut and run - neither is an unreasonable position. Not every point needs to be a battle....

This is weird - no-one was ever arguing the EU was a perfect organisation.

Me or anyone agreeing there is some dysfunction is not a "gotcha"

"neither is an unreasonable position." taken in isolation one could agree. But we can't take them in isolation. We have to look at the costs, and define what the gains could realistically be. And it simply isn't a neutral observation to say you can argue THAT case either way

no its not a 'gotcha' moment. Im not suggesting it is. its just an interesting point, worthy of note, that seemingly you agree with, but are also weirdly tying yourself in knots trying to argue against at the same time (i.e its NOT neutral to be able oargue a case either way??!!!?)

you spend way too long distorting what I say

Me:"neither is an unreasonable position." taken in isolation one could agree."

is not the same as

you paraphrasing me: "i.e its NOT neutral to be able oargue a case either way??!!!"

I went out of my way to expand and make the wider point but you just ignored it. So I'll say it again - once you tot up the real costs (not just financial) against realistic gains (again not just financial - just realistic) then it stops being a neutral case and you have to really stretch to say it's worth leaving one dysfunctional organisation to be stuck with a much more dysfunctional organisation

Its funny how whenever a point is made that is counter to 'remaining', you always manage to expand it to the 'wider point', so that you can hark back to the well-trodden path of implying how much you dont like brexit overall....

fine you don't like it. You may have mentioned that before. But i'll say again, not every point has to be reflective of the ENTIRE debate....

As I said in an earlier post....this is just one small issue within the wider debate....of course a sensible person doesnt make massive decision based on one point.

Anyway...I sense we are talking at cross purposes to some degreee, as this has somehow descending into a pointless (no pun intended) discussion on which we both essentially agree!

TheCat Wrote:

> While it wasn't much of an issue back in the 2016

> campaigns......yet ANOTHER tangible benefit of

> leaving the EU....im sure even the most ardent

> remainers will be forced to agree with this

> one....

>

> https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/1

> 3/yellow-mealworm-safe-for-humans-to-eat-says-eu-f

> ood-safety-agency

>

>

> :)

We'll use British maggots thanks and I'm sure there'll be loads in the rotten food :)