Any ideas for a condiment or sauce to accompany Roast Chicken?

sullied

Bread Sauce:

Approx recipe (Google for details) - Peel a small onion, stud it with about 6 cloves. Bring a pint of full fat milk to the boil with a bay leaf and peppercorns. Set to one side for 2 hours. Strain the milk. Stir in lots of fresh breadcrumbs and butter over a low heat. Ideally, should be slightly thicker than double cream - not quite pouring consistency. Serve warm with roast chicken.

Stick some unpeeled garlic cloves in with chicken, when it's roasted and resting spoon off most of the fat, squash the garlic out of the papery peel and mash into juices and scrape all residue from bottom of roasting tin, add glass of white wine and boil rapidly then add some chicken stock and stir, season to taste - no need to add flour or cream or butter.

I sometimes smother the chicken in lemon and cover it with pepper, or sometimes smooth cranberry sauce over it, or even just maggi sauce. Oyster sauce works great too. All available in bigger sizes at the chinese supermarket Hanover Park. Then am encouraged to throw away the skin because that's the fat bit. Grrrr!

Maggi sauce...... mmmmmmmmmmmm!

See maxxi's post above re garlic - it also works well with onions, carrot, celery, or a combination. Roast them with the chicken for 45 mins to an hour, deglaze the pan with wine/stock or both, then puree until completely smooth. Strictly speaking it's more a thin soup than a sauce but it works well.

Dave and maxxi are talking about gravy. You can put mashed garlic and veg in it, add wine if you like, but it's still gravy. Gravy is a given with a roast, so we should assume that the OP is looking for a condiment to use in addition to the gravy.

I'd go for the redcurrant or cranberry - or nette's quince jelly sounds nice too.

If you're doing a full roast, definitely bread sauce, ideally with stuffing and sausages, but if you're having it on it's own chutney is VG. I could eat a whole roast chicken on my own with a jar of either caramelised onion or W'rose apple and walnut.