COVID-19 Fact or Fiction?

Robbie

Alan

Apart from places like New Zealand where the population is low enough to manage a pandemic, how many world wide governments have actually got their response correct and nor made any mistakes at all ?

Not many from what I can see and numbers are rising across Europe despite their policies so let's face it, whilst our government hasn't got everything right, they aren't alone in that fact!

I guess we could go the way of China and go super strict on freedom but that's not the correct way either 😱

Spartacus,

it's the corruption in this government I object to. Of course their handling of the pandemic could have been better. Johnson's mixed messages didn't help. He was very slow to cotton on to the seriousness of the situation e.g shaking hands in a hospital with covid patients, not attending COBRA meetings etc.

Funnily enough I spoke with my son in China yesterday. He lives in a large city (Shenzhen)and he wasn't even sure of what the current regulations were, as there is an absence of the virus there. Some things are standard like having your temperature checked before entering any building. I'm not sure what 'freedom' you are referring to. His doesn't seem to have been inhibited.

Alan

Do you remember how tightly China locked down the residents in Wuhan at the beginning of the pandemic ?

Interestingly do you also remember how well the residents complied and didn't whip up a media frenzy ?

You are entitled to be unhappy with the government but it frustrates me that people look at blaming the government because they wanted to go on holiday or go to the pub rather than following simple rules to stay safe and protect others.

As I said we all have our own important part to play in curbing the virus and the media stirring isn't helping IMHO

Absolutely Spartacus, everyone?s self-entitlement is why we?re approaching highest cases seen yet and will be the reason for the perpetual repeat of this for a long time to come.

WTF are people going to the pub for in a pandemic ?!

Because Govt says we can ?? Since when did their advice consider the people and their welfare ?

Stay In FFS.

Spartacus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Alan

> Do you remember how tightly China locked down the

> residents in Wuhan at the beginning of the

> pandemic ?

> Interestingly do you also remember how well the

> residents complied and didn't whip up a media

> frenzy ?

I do. I don't think China is the right place not to be compliant with government instructions.

> You are entitled to be unhappy with the government

> but it frustrates me that people look at blaming

> the government because they wanted to go on

> holiday or go to the pub rather than following

> simple rules to stay safe and protect others.

That frustrates me too. The scenes in Liverpool last night were horrific, if what I saw was true. I'm unhappy that the government is spending our taxpayers money lining the pockets of their friends. If the results were good I wouldn't complain but they're not. Between PPE and test and trace, billions have been misspent.

>

> As I said we all have our own important part to

> play in curbing the virus and the media stirring

> isn't helping IMHO

Agreed, in that I can only take care of myself. By avoiding contracting it, I won't spread it. What is it that you think the media is stirring up?

The scenes from Liverpool are precisely why half-hearted measures on pubs are not going to work. Government to be fair, is trying to keep businesses open to protect the country from having a full economic meltdown, but if people won't do as they are asked, it is inevitable that a second full lockdown will come.

Christmas especially, is going to be real challenge, as millions of people travel around the country to be with family and friends, and fill any bars or restaurants that are open. The government can close the bars and restaurants, but it is very hard to see how people can be stopped from observing any rules on travel and numbers of people mixing in homes at Christmas itself. Cue a spike around the end of January.

ianr Wrote:

> Alan Medic Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >

>

> >

> > This speech says it all for me about the

> > government.

>

> I assume that's a Dan Carden speech reported here.

> https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2020-10-14/d

> ebates/DF0EE788-B2CA-43F1-B391-81682FEF876F/detail

> s#contribution-06F5E34C-02FC-4C52-A39C-2938CBA89DD

> 6

It is.

IMHO We will very soon go to Tier 1.

Only Pubs serving 'Substantial' Meals will be allowed to open. ?

Does that mean that anyone having a Drink, 'MUST' also have a meal. ?

Just is no longer worth going out to the Pub.

Even Tier 2 seems to prohibit people having friends around for a drink or a meal.

It is now worse than back in March.

I believe 'Eat out to Help out' was at least partially responsible for the increase in Covid-19 cases.

Local Restaurants were rammed. Pubs too have been very busy.

DulwichFox

The bubble thing is explained here;

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/support-bubble-tier-2-3-what-rules-covid-restrictions-social-explained-713956

Agreed on simply delaying the inevitable. Liverpool now only has 10 percent of ICU capacity free.

The issue I have with the tier system, is that without honesty around failings by government, and honesty about public behaviour, there is little point in these intermediate restrictions. Once infection rates are on that exponential curve, it becomes very difficult to slow down without draconian measures. This seems to be the very thing the government are now ignoring.

Blah Blah Wrote:

> Once infection rates are on that exponential curve, it

> becomes very difficult to slow down without

> draconian measures. This seems to be the very

> thing the government are now ignoring.

Because of the exponential nature of virus growth, data has shown that Johnson's dithering and delaying the initial lockdown by a week, doubled the number of deaths. Yet despite SAGE's advice, here we are again...

Most normal, rational people don't expect a Gov to get 'this global pandemic right', but there are degrees of getting things right/wrong...

Some countries have dealt well with suppression of the virus.

Some countries have dealt quite well with the economic fall out.

Some countries have focused well on longer term planning.

Some have done well on all 3.

Most have done well on one.

U.K. government has failed on all 3

DulwichFox Wrote:

> So 6 people from the same social group or family

> can meet and sit inside the pub.

> One person on their own cannot go to the Pub

> where they will come into contact with other

> people.

>

> They Can sit outside.

>

> How will pubs deal with this. ?

>

I don't see anything anywhere to suggest that one person can't go inside a pub. They just can't mix with people from another household, and would have to socially distance in any case.

Not sure quite what you are getting at?