Cycle hoop bike hanger - bike stolen

?The UK is suffering a car theft epidemic. Crimes of this type have risen by 50% in the past five years, the Home Office says. They reached an eight-year high in 2018, with more than 106,000 cars stolen in England and Wales.?

https://www.whatcar.com/news/car-theft-group-test-britains-most-secure-cars-2019/n19874

By your tortuous logic we should ban selling cars and clamp them when not in use.

The individual bikeaway lockers seem more secure. Given that these hangers are used when people are at home, would it not be better for those with expensive bikes to look at secure ways of keeping their bikes indoors or immediately outside? Even when I was a student living in a dingle room way back, I would keep my bicycle indoors at night.

Not everyone is allowed to take bikes indoors. Private tenancy agreements often say bikes must be kept outside.

Since Grenfell, the council has become much more fire safety minded (rightly IMO) but this has led it to forbid tenants to leave bikes in hallways.

Bikes take up a lot of space and a couple with a child in a two-bed flat with no garden may not have room to take three bikes inside.

There are some great folding bike options.

Hangars may be a good idea in theory but not if they are so easily broken into, as seems to be the case at the moment. It seems unwise to invest public money in the current option until the security issue is properly sorted.

Yes and my point was more along the lines of installing concrete set anchors outside properties with no room inside. Then it makes attaching alarms, light sensors etc easy. All of that is doable and probably more secure than a communal hangar down the road.

• 10 months later...

Hi, I've finally (having initially registered in 2016) been offered space in a cycle hoop that is conveniently located.

While this great news and very exciting, I'm seeking advice from people that have used them in the past without issue.

Despite posts like this are they generally safe? Should i use 1, 2 or even 3 locks (wheels and frame)? Do bikes get knocked around?

I think if you can have a really sturdy lock that is gold rated that you leave in the hanger then you're not worrying about the weight for carrying it might be best, together with a second one that you use that you take with you? Even in my own bike shed we lock the bikes within it - it won't stop the most determined bike theif but it will make it more difficult for an opportunist!

• 2 months later...