Children's Birthday Party Supplies - Overrated ?

LoopyMum

Hi

I thought I would take the plunge and put myself out there for a little advice

All brutally honest opinions welcome

I used to make cakes professionally but stopped as I found the market oversaturated and as there is a big boom in

homebaking most mothers have learnt how to make pretty awesome cakes at home with the help of a good recipe book and

some basic sugarcraft equipment

I have three children and am absolutely obsessed with all things party

Passionate about balloons / banners / food / decorations

So the attached pictures are examples of my most recent creations - party banners (that can also be kept and placed

on the child's bedroom wall)

I have made quite a few ,in different themes and colours and also taken pictures in my garden with some display

toys / party food but I am hesitant to go the whole hog as I did last time round

Doing fairs , setting up a Facebook page , printing cards if there is simply no interest in these

(If I were to get positive feedback about the banners I also planned to provide party bags / cupcake wrappers and

other personalised partyware)

Also thought about JUST MARRIED signs - place settings -etc

So what do you think a lovely idea that could blossom or a waste of time and money for families to buy in our

current economic climate ?!

Very lovely banners. What about a local stall during holiday season? Dog Kennel Hill Adventure Playground is looking for stall holders for their winter craft fair. http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?28,957131,957131#msg-957131 You could showcase your work with some general pieces and take orders for personalised items? It is a tough time for starting new businesses econimically. Then again, the only way is up! I have a friend who started her own business last year. It's doing pretty well.

Thanks. Glad to hear about your friend

Most businesses seem to be thriving regardless as they sell essentials that families need it's just a little

risky to start a creative business at the moment

But I'd love to grab the opportunity to get my products out there to see what others think

Am still hoping for some opinions on here

Definitely set up a Facebook page if you haven't already - a free way to test the market and sell your products. I run a small business, and set up a Facebook business page as a starting point, but get so much work through it I haven't needed to do anything else.

There are a lot of good networking pages on Facebook that help you reach a wider audience.

Fairs are a good idea if you have ready made stock to sell, but I found people wanted customised things (I hand knit baby & children's clothing), so making stock in advance isn't always the best option.

Good luck.

Thanks Pickle

Exactly what I was thinking as the partyware would be custom made for the child pre made stock wouldn't be the best option

Although I guess the pieces I have could be used just for display

Still tinkling with the idea of a FB page - want to know if anybody would be remotely interested first

I guess the only thing with having display pieces (and the associated interest generated) is to then get people to follow through and order from you. In some ways the impulse buy market is a great one to tap into.

I'm sure if you set a page up, word would quickly spead. You just need a few of your friends to "like" and comment on photos and already you've opened your page up to hundreds of people. Doesn't take much work at all.

I think it's a great idea. All of the decorations readily available are of the same sort of characters and themes. My son wanted green and Gruffalo for his birthday which was not available except online. I would have been very tempted to order from you, but yes price is always a factor!

Thanks for your support ladies

Have not got any fixed prices as yet

The reason being I have used a variety of

materials and sizes for the banners so

I would have to sit down and cost them all

They would be reasonably priced

And yes all names, colours and themes

are possible

I have made a Peppa Pig banner just tried to

upload but resolution of image too high

hi regarding copyright be careful, If you bought say a peppa pig bag then reused it on your banner to resell I think that is ok but If you were just to print off a pic of peppa and used it that wouldnt be as YOu havent bought official merchandise and therefor stealing the image. If it is a liscenced product reused/recycled then the liscence would have been used on that item-does that make sense?

I do party decorations and anything that is an official character I buy online so I dont infringe on copyright then just use the prominent colour for anything that I make.

If you do set up a page send me a pm as I may need your services one day if I continue with parties.

websites are pretty easy to do too and dont cost much, Mine is www.dreamofatheme.co.uk if you want to take a look and if you need any advice send me a pm. good luck leanne

I think the banners look lovely but... I have just ordered something similar (personalised name bunting) for decoration at my son's christening and there is a lot of it about. Just one search on ebay/ notonthehighstreet pulled up dozens of options with prices starting at around ?1 a letter. Totally my opinion, but I think the market for this type of thing is quite saturated, unless obviously you can be super-competitive on price.

Thanks Fmm

You are correct - lots of banners on ebay

Not yet seen any similar to those I have created

but then I am yet to look on notonthehighstreet

At less than a pound per letter makes you wonder if

they make any profit at all

Thanks toomuchchocolate

Totally forgot about etsy I will be having a

good peek on the site tonight

Aside banners I was also thinking about general

party decorations

cupcake wrappers

party bags

pom poms

cupcake boxes

Etsy

Ebay etc all fab but initially I wanted to

generate an interest from local parents

• 2 years later...
I think party decorations are not considered a waste of money and time, I think this particular decorations are key elements in all kinds of party but most of all in birthday parties. Apart from being a decoration element, are perfect and inoffensive toys for kids to play, so I think they are important in children parties. I use to buy in a web site where you can find balloons with animal shapes and imprimed balloons which the kids love. You can see them here, I hope you like it  http://www.comercialpersan.com/en/products/types/animal-figures-balloons/