Harris Girls East Dulwich

Hi all

Just to say I went to the open evening last night (eldest is only yr 4 so we have 3 more years at primary but I was curious so thought why not). I was really impressed - the staff are all so enthusiastic & seem very settled - all I spoke to had been there 5 years plus - and the facilities are amazing. The students I spoke to were equally enthusiastic, eager to show off their work & a real credit to the school. All that plus of course the recent outstanding (in all areas) Ofsted - I'm not surprised about that now I've seen the school for myself.

Do go and take a look if you have girls who are approaching secondary school, I think we are really lucky to have a school like this on our doorstep.

Thats great, sounds very promising and I have heard similar reports... I'm years away from needing to apply but (without meaning to highjack your post) very curious on how admissions work? Is it based on distance the same as primaries? Is that the same for all secondaries (eg. I remember reading here distance is not a factor for getting into Kingsdale? What do they base admittance on then?)

Hi PRM,

Harris Girl's have done very well this year, all year 11s achieved at least 5 GCSEs (A*-C) or more. As this school is in my ward, I have been there a few times and I must admit, I am really impressed by the staff and pupils there.

In terms of admissions, the Southwark secondaries are all either Academies or VA, ie they decide their own admissions policies, so you will need to check with each school. At the moment, Harris Boys, Girl's, @Peckham, Walworth and Charter all select on distance. (Charter on safe walking routes and all the others by as the crow flies)Kingsdale selects 10% on Music/Sport and then uses a lottery system within with applicants divided into 3 bands from non-verbal reasoning results. Those who achieve scholarship level in the Kingsdale selection tests are also allocated places by lottery, so even if your child gets one, they may not be offered a place at the school (but it increases their chances!).

Renata

Thanks Renata, you explained this much better than I could!

This is why it is worth looking at schools before year 6 - so you know the admissions criteria for the schools you prefer & can work towards them if need be. I also feel like I will stop worrying about it all so much if I actually go & see what is out there.

It's years away for us too, but I'd be interested to know whether or not siblings get prioritised in secondary admissions in the same way that they do in primaries, and if so, whether or not that would apply to Harris ED boys and girls academies? Ie if my son got a place at Harris ED Boys (to which we are very near), then would my daughter be prioritised for a place at Harris ED Girls (from which we are quite a bit further away)?

And whilst I'm here, can anyone contribute any thoughts on generally what catchment distances are for secondaries? I seem to remember reading 800m for Charter, not sure if that's representative of distance-based admissions for secondaries in the ED area??

Hi

Yes re siblings at Harris boys & girls ED as it was mentioned last night. I would check each other school individually - they have admission criteria on their websites usually.

Distances - you woukd need to ask each school. Generally the more popular they are the shorter the distance, but of course the size of the school / intake will also play a part.

Banding plus distance for Harris Boys, so the last place offered can vary between bands (other schools also use both eg Haberdasher's Aske's have 9 bands plus distance) . This is done in theory so schools end up with an even spread of abilities.

I've been told the same as Molly re Harris boys/girls admissions, when I visited the girl's school.

Renata

It is definitely the case that the sibling policy applies for the boys/girls school. We were told this at an open day.

I would challenge 800m being the distance for Charter. We are less than 800m and was 116 on waiting list a few months back.

I'm never very convinced by furthest distance as this may well take account of looked after children and SEN who are not affected by the distance criteria. Also don't be fooled by thinking that you will get into a school based on the fact that your next door neighbour's kids go there. Catchment areas change year on year depending on applicants.

Absolutely no 'choice' to the system. Just hope you moved to the right street (if you could afford it - prices are affected by supposed catchment areas)or take a bet on the lottery (Kingsdale).

With regard to Harris Boys ED entrance policy, I thought is was a mixture of NVR and then distance within bands.

Charter works on Safest walking distance rather than as the crow flies distance and if you live 800m away by as the crow flies, you are likely to be significantly further away on a walking distance measurement.

For Harris boys- non-verbal reasoning is a way to put the boys into bands. To confirm that it then goes on distance.

Renata