Goodrich Reception frustrations

damzel

My daughter started at Goodrich reception recently and has settled in really well. However, I am finding it much harder to adjust! There are a few things that are bugging me (and I admit that a lot it might be because I am generally a very organised person and school is a bit out of my control).

But in particular, the drop off and pick up is so disorganised with parents all bundling into the class at the same time to hang up or collect coats and bags - I can never get near the pegs and I'm struggling to understand why I am having to. I would have thought it a useful learning exercise to teach the kids to find their hook and hang up their own bags and coats, then at the end of the day, gather everything together before being sent out to mum (or carer). But no. What happens (for my daughters class anyway) is in the afternoon the teacher opens the door and has a quick look to see who's mums are outside then goes back inside, presumably to tell which kids can leave. However, before (or whilst) the kids are starting to come out (without bags/coats etc.) all the mums pile into the class! The kids are weaving between their legs to get out and mine always arrives without some of her stuff, so I have to wait until all the mums have left (I'm not joining in the mosh!), in order to get into the class to get my daughters stuff! It's absolutely ridiculous!

The door area is really tight for space too and they've put the pegs right my the narrow doorway so there is no room to get in or out amongst the bun fight! Impossible to even have a quick "is everything okay" with the teacher.

Surely it would be more sensible for the teachers (as part of the last lesson) to supervise the kids getting all their stuff together, then when they open the door - tell the carers and mums to wait outside - and send the kids out. If they need a word with anyone (or vice versa) that child can be the last to leave so that the teacher and parent can discuss whatever needs discussing.

And move the pegs further down the wall so they are not right by the door!

Do all 3 Goodrich reception classes work like this or is it just mine?

Sounds like a crazy system. Schools I have worked in get the children ready , sitting down and then teacher calls each child as a parent arrives letting them out one by one. In this way any issues of the day ie complaints of tummy ache, not eating lunch etc can be mentioned to the parent/carer. For the first few days parents do come into the classroom in the mornings, but it is only while they are settling in. From very early on we encourage the children to be independant regarding collecting their belongings.Find out if the other reception class do the same as schools usually have the same procedures regarding picking up/dropping off. It does not sound like a good method to me, how can the teacher possibly be able to see who is coming and going.

I feel your pain - though I'm through it for now til my youngest goes into reception next year - at Ivydale the children do mostly get their own coats etc, but it is still done after parents arrive - I always thought the same as you - why not get them to fetch coats etc 5 mins before the bell goes?

Maybe we just need to suggest this to our respective heads?

It gets better - since Year 2 in my case you just drop off & pick up in the playground....bliss...except when you have to do a body check & send them back inside for the coat/lunch bag/homework book/instrument/myriad other things they are prone to forget!!!!!

Xxx

My daughter is also in reception at Goodrich, but by the sound of it in a different class. Admittedly mornings are cramped as (unlike last year when my son was in the same class) we are dropping off inside, but we pick up outside and the kids are sent out with all their stuff. The teachers in her class are very keen to get them doing the whole morning routine independently so don't encourage parents into the class at all.

I used to get frustrated when she was at the nursery, with parents pushing their way in and generally getting in the way, so tended to stand back and let them do their thing before even attempting to get close.

I haven't noticed you there Damzel, although it's been years since our paths crossed (Plough playgroup) - do say hi if you still recognise me!

My kids are in reception at another school, but I do really implore you to say something to the school about it! Things stay as they have always been until someone engages and suggests a better way. Whatbyou describe sounds disorganised, but they may not have thought about what else they could do?

They work for you (sort of) so call the teacher/ head of early years/head and ask how it's supposed to work: then you can either say it's not being implemented, or that it's not working that way... They won't know if you don't tell them.

Pickle - I will definitely look out for you, be good to see how it works for your class - if it's very different then I might be inclined to mention something to our teacher (not that I'm particularly comfortable with that). I usually wait to the left of the main gate to the playground and have been arriving fairly early (though I'm sure that won't last much longer!) Hopefully see you tomorrow

Dontpanic - I really want to say something but I'm new and my school experience has just started so I am learning the ropes. I don't want to get off on the wrong foot and start suggesting better ways to do things - the teacher seems quite young (to me!) and I think she is only in her 2nd year. I don't want to offend.

Especially as at the moment I feel like I am the only one who has an issue with this. It's good to get this feedback - thanks everyone.

That does sound crazy and would drive me nuts. At my daughters' school the kids wait on the mat with their bags/coats on, then they're called out one by one as the parents arrive (while you wait outside). The teacher stands in the doorway and you get a chance to have a chat or at the least exchange a 'hello' while your child comes out. It's a good system (though I must admit I'd never really thought about it before - that's a sign of a good system I guess!)

You should definitely raise it - it sounds very disorganized and I don't see how the teacher can keep an eye on which child is going off with which adult if everyone is milling around in the same room. Unless it's just something they're doing for the first few weeks until the kids are more settled in and able to find their stuff independently? (Though really there's no reason why they can't do that from day one.)

Edited to add: in the morning they line up before going inside too. Quite military but it does work - though there's always the odd kid (sometimes mine) clinging to their mum's leg which disrupts it a bit...

Yes but that is your advantage- fresh eyes. Schools are always trying to find ways to engage parents, and it's hard to stick your head out as a new parent - I know, I have a year two child too. If there is a parents forum do go, and otherwise, I really hope the school offers parent events to allow new parents to ask questions like this?

Also if the teacher is new, she may appreciate suggestions if they are made in a supportive way, or if couched as an offer of help? 'what can we do as parents to make home time easier?'

Here's to calm home times

HA

My daughter is at Goodrich (Year 2 now) and when she first started in Reception it was really a case of the teachers trying to manage the parents who were clearly struggling with letting go of their little ones. I would like to think the teachers are being sympathetic to that and so allow them to help their child to hang up their coat etc. Once my daughter had been in reception for a few weeks, and certainly after Christmas, we were firmly told to wait outside (to my relief since I always had a pushchair with me anyway so couldn't go in) until our child was sent out at pick up. And on arrival children were encouraged to hang up their own coats (which tended to mean my daughter went on the floor and got trodden on!).

So I'm sure things will change soon but it doesn't hurt to mention something to the teacher now if you feel so strongly about it.

my daughters school is exactly they same. They only open one small door for people to go in to collect their kids so if you are one of the lucky ones to get your child first, you basically have to wait until everyone has gone in to actually get out of the door. Also I can be standing at the door waiting for them to call my daughters name and sometimes the teachers look over me and call the person behind me which is really annoying. Also people push in front of you when they can see you are still waiting, drives me mad