best route by car from guildford to ED

pilsbury

I have driven from SE22 to Guildford for over 10 years as my job is based there. I agree that there is no easy way. However having tried everything I finally went for A3 then off at Shannon Corner into Wimbledon Tooting Balham and then around South Circular via Tulse Hill.Not a good way in middle of day as lots of High Streets. I tended to drive down earl;y and come back early evening.There is a way you can turn right after Colliers Wood and go around Tooting Bec.

I go down that way often and having tried various options I still use the A205 south circular then A3. Other back routes run into high streets.

The bottleneck is always Battersea Rise through to Wandsworth.

The best thing is to leave early and go back late; I commuted for a few months from Putney to Dulwich last year and it took 30 minutes if I left at 06.30 and returned around 20.00...avoid weekends too if possible...

In December you will be able to get a train from Clapham Junction to Peckham Rye..although I imagine that it would take at least an hour from Guildford with the change at CJ...

I go down A3 coming off at Wimbledon / Putney; down along Common, past All England Club, off and down Leopold Rd, Plough Lane, Garratt Lane, Burntwood Lane, Beechcroft Road, Upper Tooting Park, then through Balham, Devonshire Road, Weir Road, then onto south circ, and via Tulse Hill. Convuluted but tends to miss the traffic except for Plough Lane when in rush hour.

Like others we turn off at Shannons Corner and continue towards Wimbledon on A238 passing South Wimbledon station and then left into Haydens Road. Continue of Haydens as it turns into Durnsford Road, then turn right into Penwith Road at the Pig and Whistle pub. Continue straight ahead into Earlsfield Road, and again into Spencer Park. This then meets up with the South Circular close to Clapham which is usually not too bad though we are generally travelling at weekends.