Urgent: Help Reopen Closed Melbourne Grove and adjacent roads

FairTgirl

Siduhe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was about to ask the same - Underhill and

> Lordship Lane are totally gridlocked down to

> Forest Hill but not clear why?

It's been reporting as standstill in places for over last 2 hours. Was the same last night as well. No works or accidents reported, just sheer traffic all on same roads as far as I can see. South Circular, Lordship Lane, East Dulwich Grove - and East Dulwich Road - but there are roadworks there - but no where else.

I was just correcting the idea that it was a new cycle lane - it isn't

Rockets Wrote:

> Yes but that protection with wands means the

> junction no longer functions properly and is

> creating massive congestion and pollution

> problems. Do you not think in light of this the

> council should review the use of the wands?

>

> BTW has the A205 or Lordship Lane been shut -

> complete gridlock on the eastern side of Lordship

> Lane tonight?

northernmonkey Wrote:

> I was just correcting the idea that it was a new

> cycle lane - it isn't

>

>

> Rockets Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Yes but that protection with wands means the

> > junction no longer functions properly and is

> > creating massive congestion and pollution

> > problems. Do you not think in light of this the

> > council should review the use of the wands?

> >

> > BTW has the A205 or Lordship Lane been shut -

> > complete gridlock on the eastern side of

> Lordship

> > Lane tonight?

Yes the lane has been there for a long time but the wands are limiting the road to one lane and thus creating traffic queues throughout the village as traffic cannot filter past those wanting to turn right.

You would have thought someone from the council would have thought about that......this council pig has a lot of ears....

Nigello Wrote:

> It?s not gridlock. It?s busy but it cleared.

> Hyperbole serves no one well.

> 🤷‍♂️

> Can?t wait till the road is barriered!

Trust me, as the photo demonstrates it was gridlocked at the roundabout and was tailing back up the hill at Dunstans and down Goodrich from Donkey Alley. It has been like that most mornings at school drop off time.

That, as my photo shows, is not hyperbole but fact (unless of course you think I photo-shopped the picture!). Photographic evidence is so useful at the moment to deposition the "there is no problem" hyperbole from the pro-closure lobby.

Is it going to be barriered - I thought I heard that the council was standing that one down after opposition from Goodrich school and residents?

legalalien Wrote:

> I see on Twitter that Ealing MP Dr Rupa Haq is

> raising the issue of the LTNs in Parliament today

>

> https://calendar.parliament.uk/

Did anyone take the time to watch this ? It was on from about 6.25 and the conclusion I got was that the minister in charge was asked about the lack of wider consultations, the issues of keeping London open for movement of goods and so on but as she is a cyclist the scheme will get a second set of funding and councils must prove that they are consulting otherwise they won't get all the money they want.

Seemed a bit sad that she wasn't taking concerns on board and was determined to continue rolling out funding to London and other councils.

heartblock Wrote:

> She was great and has had a Labour Councillor

> wishing her a ?place in hell?. A cult!

I missed the parliament thing yesterday but you can read it on Hansard

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2020-11-04/debates/5CA1BC02-327D-4ACC-B499-434E3FBFBEE5/Covid-19EmergencyTransportAndTravelMeasuresInLondonBoroughs

I saw the twitter thing - I think the chap is one of the North London councillors -

https://twitter.com/RupaHuq/status/1324015173565337608. Rupa's twitter account also has some video extracts from yesterday's hearing.

legalalien Wrote:

> heartblock Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > She was great and has had a Labour Councillor

> > wishing her a ?place in hell?. A cult!

>

>

> I missed the parliament thing yesterday but you

> can read it on Hansard

> https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2020-11-04/d

> ebates/5CA1BC02-327D-4ACC-B499-434E3FBFBEE5/Covid-

> 19EmergencyTransportAndTravelMeasuresInLondonBorou

> ghs

>

> I saw the twitter thing - I think the chap is one

> of the North London councillors -

> https://twitter.com/RupaHuq/status/132401517356533

> 7608. Rupa's twitter account also has some video

> extracts from yesterday's hearing.

Cllr John Burke doesn't seem to be a very nice human being....but I am enjoying the threads where people are taking apart his recent tweets (that the likes of Cllr Newens and Leeming have been retweeting) about his increase in traffic in London which some are saying is based on estimations when real data showed actual decreases.

I had a quick look at one of his tweets claiming the Daily Mail was reporting last night a 34% increase in cars across London for last night versus the same night last year. It was actually reporting a 34% rise in congestion - not the same thing.

Going off on a tangent, I really wish the school syllabus would include some practical info on (i) how to discern facts from opinion when reading things and (ii) basic statistics of the kind you see in the newspaper, and how to think critically about them. I was taught these things specifically in school way back in the day (hours of being made to read newspaper articles and go through and identify the facts and opinions in them). We hated it btw, but I think it was a useful exercise (and probably more useful than some of the stuff on the English curriculum...)

I had a look at that tweet too - it was pretty much everywhere and thought the same thing - that 34% increase in congestion doesn't necessarily equate to 34% more cars - but what was interesting was that the congestion was up in other cities too and even those where there haven't been traffic measures introduced in any meaningful way. So whilst its not a one for one correlation there does seem to have been a spike in traffic on the evening before lockdown kicked in.

I don't think that its too much of a stretch either to think that's likely as people will have done last minute shopping in stores that would be closing the next day or travelled to other locations if they're planning to spend lockdown in them, before they're not legally allowed to move!

Have found an FOI someone requested online around Tooting LTNs and some interesting communication between TFL and Wandsworth council about funding and nature of schemes and what was getting funding, what wasn't and why, and why ultimately they removed them.

They also have some basic criteria for what got funded and priorities.

They were under the same timeframes to bid and acesses the funding and implement as Southwark were - some of these schemes went in 1 Sept, ED Phase 2 went in 3 Sept, and somehow they managed to get in baseline data monitoring prior to implementation, from several sites and on different occasions and put in No2 diffusion tubes to monitor the schemes as well.

Having watched the Scrutiny Meeting Tuesday and the work being done by Guys around schools, with some monitoring (not air still) this is looking more and more damning on Southwark.

Pretty sure the only answers we have had from Cllrs around lack of monitoring (where they have admitted to a lack of it, other than just brushing the question aside) was that the closures were implemented too quickly to do it. But Wandsworth did?

Given the reports that a tiny increase in air pollution can have a rise of 11% increase in Covid deaths, why would you not be monitoring, especially the obvious displacement roads with schools on?

@legalalien

"I had a quick look at one of his tweets claiming the Daily Mail was reporting last night a 34% increase in cars across London for last night versus the same night last year. It was actually reporting a 34% rise in congestion - not the same thing."

Haven't had a chance to check this recent post but we had similar claims when schools went back. There was a big spike in congestion of 130% reported on, I think 6 Sep. This was used by pro-closure advocates ot suggest that traffic volumes had increased post Covid and more closures were needed. In fact, Govt figures show traffic has decreased; the congestion figure, from Waze, relates to length of journey. Congestion has increased because road closures have reduced road capacity.

• 2 weeks later...

Southwark have scheduled a couple of community meetings next Friday (27 November) to discuss the East Dulwich LTN. All welcome, as long as you register by next Thursday. The registration details are found in the ?news bulletin? section of the East Dulwich Streetspace page. See link below. Questions can be fielded in advance by emailing [email protected]:

https://eastdulwichstreetspace.commonplace.is/news

Balanced article about the council run meeting last week on East Dulwich Low Traffic Neighbourhood:

https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/southwark-council-vows-to-create-coherent-plan-for-east-dulwich-low-emissions-neighbourhood-scheme/

I definitely count myself in the middle category, supporting the principle but not all the detail, e.g. agreeing we need "more connected cycle paths to create longer routes, rather than piecemeal areas".

Also suggest the council should do something to make the north (station) end of Melbourne Grove more inviting. Why can't they move the car parking bays so that the cafes etc. can have outdoor seating. Realise it's cold but on days it's sunny it would be great to have more places to sit out to catch up with friends/family while being able to support our local businesses.

Yes good article and I think it is good that the council is acknowledging that it hasn't done this in a joined up manner but I also agree that the meeting lacked any real answers.

Let's see what the amendments are in the New Year but I suspect they will likely be the removal of immovable planters being replaced by movable bollards to placate the emergency services. I also suspect the council hopes it can ride out the storm until June.

I agree about the lack of allure from the station end of MG. The big bins outside the pharmacy are ugly and covered in tagging, likewise the phone repair shop and the new takeaway ood shop next to the exercise studio, and the barber's is missing a letter on the signage. On their own it wouldn't matter but it all adds up to neglect and general meh-ness. It could be very attractive with a tiny bit of incentive and effort - do the businesses know that the council will clean their shutters free, with permission?

5/10 - could do better!

For someone continually posting about these measures and specifically commenting on the Melbourne Grove planters, you don't actually seem to have seen them. All of these streets have removable bollards in the centre of them.

Rockets Wrote:

> Yes good article and I think it is good that the

> council is acknowledging that it hasn't done this

> in a joined up manner but I also agree that the

> meeting lacked any real answers.

>

> Let's see what the amendments are in the New Year

> but I suspect they will likely be the removal of

> immovable planters being replaced by movable

> bollards to placate the emergency services. I also

> suspect the council hopes it can ride out the