Butcher near Sainsbury's - Lordship Lane

Saus01

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

Just wanted to flag up this butcher again.

He is on Lordship Lane, just where it meets Landells Road, opposite Sainsbury's Local.

I got 6 free-range chicken thighs there yesterday, nice big ones, for ?2.50!!!

And a box of large properly free-range eggs for ?1.20 -- that is half the price of what I would have paid at Sainsbury's!

Do check them out if you're passing. They haven't got the plush trappings of WR, but they have good quality stuff at very reasonable prices.

Claire

I think he is also very good. It is a shame that so many people use Sainsbury. I understand why with the convenience of doing a single shop in one store.... but I do think we should support our independent traders more. When Sainsbury's was closed recently for a re fit all the independent shops had a much busier time.... We ALL should make more effort.

I wish he had a wider range of meat displayed. My daughter's butcher in Durrington has a fantastic window display and sells a mixed pack of meat to freeze for around ?25 for steak, chicken, sausages, pork, bacon etc. When we go to see her we buy around ?20 of meat and pies to bring back to Dulwich

He has more stuff displayed inside the shop - eggs, cooking sauces and fats stacked against the walls to the left and meat products inside the long counter to the right.

Being no queue most of the time you can just stick your head through the door and ask for what you don't see in the front window display.

I go in for the smoked streaky and fine chipolatas or white pudding and then just see what's there - this week picked up a great-looking three-rib section of Jacob's Ladder instead of the usual (and delicious) on-the-bone belly pork.

both them i wouldnt buy meat out there to feed my dog with ,dirty looking shop dirty clothes for of germs laying on the blocks should be shut down for good the flock one trampy looking staff no knowledge at all of the finner cuts in fact clue less on everytrhing .

• 1 month later...

Just want to keep this thread going, and encourage people to try this butcher...

Today I got:

3 large free-range chicken breasts

4 free-range chicken thighs

8 rashers of thick cut bacon

6 extra large free-range eggs

...for ?10.55!!

He's at the Plough end of Lordship Lane, just opposite Sainsbury's Local. Look for the green and white striped awning. Closed Sundays and Mondays.

That butchers has a score of 1 http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/business/c-sargent-butcher-and-grazier--925683.html

And a google search to find out more about this shop came up with this : http://m.meatinfo.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/1903/Farmer_banned_from_keeping_animals.html

I can't confirm it's the same person but a coincidence given the name and shop location ?

It's the same person although that conviction was overturned when an expert vet showed there was a lack of evidence of cruelty. It even featured in a bbc documentary about over zealous RSPCA prosecutions. Nonetheless, there are many claims in their case that each individual should be aware of.

The hygiene issue is a littl more concerning though I've never had any problems with te quality or freshness of his meat.

Just checked The Butchery in Forest Hill and their score is 2.

Wanted to ad that they sell meat at Brockley Market and it's uncovered, out in the open, unrefrigerated and has flies landing on it. They also supply meat to Toasted. Bought burgers from them that were off.

The butcher by Dulwich Library IS the same guy that used to be in Lower Sydenham.... a 2 page thread from the Syd Town Forum for anyone who's interested

http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4100&hilit=butcher+by+the+library&start=20

I wouldn't shop there if you paid me.

I totally trust the quality and safety of the meat from Nathan and Ruth at The Butchery and i have never had any problems with anything i've bought from them. Maybe my background of coming from a family of butchers gives me a slightly biased perspective, but i certainly know enough about it to know categorically which butcher of the two i'd trust in terms of where the meat was coming from and how it was being handled.

Oh well, just checked William Rose and they are rated a 5 so I think I will stick with them even if not all their products are as free range /organic I would like but I top up with a Paleo box delivery .

I only ever bought beef mince from the Butchers by the Plough once and I really didn't like the taste or the way the shop looked after experiencing William Rose. You get what you pay for .

Archived