Schools in East Dulwich - first time parent

The Face

Afternoon all,

I'm 23 weeks pregnant with my first child, and recently a number of (non SE22) friends have said, oh you must put her name down at your preferred school now!

Is this the case for primary schools in East Dulwich I wondered?!

Before I start trawling Southwark website I thought I'd ask local parents what they did, didn't do, regret and recommend.

We're looking at state funded schools only. We're on Lordship Lane, close to Townley Rd.

Thanks in advance if you have a few moments to spare to answer my post!

PS is it the same for nursery places....?!

If you will need childcare to go back to work you should look at nurseries earlier rather than later, although you may prefer a childminder or nanny

As for schools no, unless you're interested in private, no point looking at state schools until you're closer to needing one and its all on catchment anyway

No, don't worry, for primary school you can't apply until they're older, and the same applies for nurseries attached to schools. Nursery places are harder to come by and I know of many people who put their names down while pregnant, anticipating returning to work at around the 6?12 month mark.

private nursery - yes, stick your child down for as many as you can (or can afford, many will have a registration fee), as early as you can (some won't allow you to before the child is born, some will), competition can be fierce. Same with checking out childminders etc - if you know you have an exact date for when you intend to your child to start it makes sense, and if you can do it before your baby arrives all the better.

School nurseries (from age 3) you put their name down when they're 2. State primary school you apply for the year before they're due to start reception (the September after they turn 4). Private schools I guess will have individual policies, so check with each school.

Best of luck!

Congratulations The Face!

Agree with above, private nursery, yes! pre-school/nursery class, aged 2. For primary you will need to fill in an online application form by the January of the academic year (Sept to August)in which your child turns 4. Your child will be born in early spring 2013, so will start reception in September 2017 and you will apply for primary between Sept 2016 and January 2017.

Renata