Traffic chaos in Dulwich Village - does anyone know the cause?

gkb

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The roads aren't closed though, they are filtered.

> Every street can be driven on and to. Residents

> can also use their cars, get deliveries etc., it?s

> just not possible to drive straight through from

> one main road to the next.

>

> I'm sorry, this is the definition of a cul-de-sac

> - often marked with 'No Through Road'. True - it's

> not actually what we often refer to rudely as ' a

> gated community' but it is the next best thing.

> THE ROAD IS CLOSED TO THROUGH TRAFFIC (pardon for

> shouting). A 'filter' suggests that you can pass

> through, but although pedestrians and bikes I

> suppose can - 4 wheeled vehicles can't. They are

> not 'filtered' they are blocked. The road (as a

> road, as opposed to a pavement or cycle track) is

> closed.

That's what a firewall does when it filters - blocks specific traffic :)

I like that they're running road traffic like network traffic. We also have some Quality of Service and a lot of Routing.

Errrm my silence is purely that I?m on holiday! So I?d advise you to have a look through the previous threads and you will many ?always busy roads? ?not worse than before? comments. However I?m going to enjoy the last holiday I imagine we can any time soon!

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Dulwichgirl82 Wrote:

> >

> --------------------------------------------------

>

> > -----

> > > Agree with this and I used to walk down

> > > regularly.

> > >

> > > It was also a Schrodinger?s

> > traffic:Simultaneously

> > > awful requiring the road closure but has

> since

> > > entirely disappeared since the temporary

> > measures

> > > causing no traffic displacement apparently.

> >

> > Who specifically has said traffic has entirely

> > disappeared and there has been no displacement?

>

> No body. There are more straw men on this thread

> than a Worzel Gummage convention

FYI: Redbridge have now scrapped their pilot due to residents? concerns, suggesting that insufficient consultation meant they didn?t get it right.

https://www.redbridge.gov.uk/news/october-2020/redbridge-council-statement-quiet-streets/

Also some changes made to Lewisham/ Lee Green to address problems.

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/18800821.council-announces-changes-lewisham-lee-green-ltn/

Message from Margy Newens re South Circular closure:-

As many of you will be aware, on Thursday afternoon a major water main burst beneath the South Circular just outside the more westerly entrance to Dulwich Park resulting in considerable damage to the highway and pavement and copious flooding. The road has been closed in both directions between Lordship Lane and College Road since the incident resulting in gridlock throughout the entire area. I have been advised that there is now a signposted diversion via Croxted Road, Norwood Road, Half Moon Lane, Village Way, East Dulwich Grove, Lordship Lane.

Officially, we have been advised that the repairs will take at least until Sunday evening to complete. Meanwhile, I spoke to a Thames Water engineer on site this morning who indicated that the works could well extend into next week and that the extent of damage to the highway would mean that it is likely to remain closed to motor vehicles in both directions for the duration. Access to pedestrians and cycles will be maintained throughout.

Please share this information with your networks.

I think Margy Newens has got her east and west muddled up. The water main burst is close to the Riding School on the south circular and what I would refer to as the southern entrance to Dulwich Park. In terms of easterly or westerly it is surely the easterly entrance not westerly. The westerly entrance is close by Dulwich picture gallery.

The length of the diversion, which sends people through an already congested Herne Hill and EDG, says it all. It's the reverse of what I was suggesting yesterday when I theorised that tail backs of traffic on Lordship Lane were of people trying to get to Herne Hill and back onto the south circular....

I like many others were caught up yesterday in the long queues of traffic in LL from Goodrich Road to Goose Green and wondered why the P$ and P13 buses were going up LL. Hubby had been down LL earlier in the day and had commented on the traffic. I noticed at junction of LL and EDG there was a diversion sign, and on my return journey noticed another diversion sign at junction LL/Barry Road. All well and good if you know what the problem is and why diversion is needed, but to stick up signs diverting traffic who have no idea why, where they are diverting to etc is useless.

It peeves me and I have always said if I got invited to Room 101 on TV - this would be my hate/dislike to be binned!

I did follow a diversion sign some years ago between Beckenham and Bromley - Had not the faintest idea where I was going and after several minutes went back on myself and ignored the sign and carried on my normal route. Whatever/Where ever the problem was it was not apparent on that day.

I think what Margy is trying to tell her pro-closure neighbours is that she has done her best to get the displacement traffic from the A205 closure diverted away from Dulwich Village.

The irony is of course is that Dulwich Village is now experiencing exactly what other parts of Dulwich have to live with since the closure of the DV junction. You reap what you sow....

Also it appears some idiot drivers have been removing the cones outside the Grove Tavern - probably thinking this is another LTN and finding out it most certainly isn't!

I need to be in Herne Hill for 10.00 tomorrow and I was planning on driving. Are the roads back to normal or is the South Circular closure still impacting things? I read a few days ago that it took somebody an hour to get over there, if that's the case I'll walk!

Thanks.