Julie Know's Beauty

Coman

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can't work out a way in which both approaches

> could be simultaneously grammatically correct?

>

> If her name was Julia Know, then the apostrophe

> would work, but the lack of one would not.

>

> However I suspect it's just an imperfect

> conjugation of the verb 'to know' for the third

> person singular.

>

> If it was a sales and marketing strategy it was a

> poor one, since the deliberate error would only

> appeal to grammar pedants whose obsession with

> words suggests that like me they're no oil

> painting.

The verb know is conjugated knows only in the third person. Know's is a contraction of know is, and the shop title is an extract from a sentence. I chose the second person, since the second person singular and second person plural are both you. In the second person, the interruption of the sentence with Julia for clarification purposes, is arguably most authentic.

Say, in this beauty contest, Julia has been appointed judge and a journalist calling to question her verdict, asks, "Is this a quality that you know is beauty, Julia?"

Or to re-phase, "Is this a quality that you, Julia know's beauty"

Huguenot, her name can't be Julia Know. Referring back to the shop sign, the second word is not capitalised.

I don't have enough information to respond to the speculation on store's marketing, and I would like to retract my comment about the deliberate misspelling. I only wish to comment on the grammatical aspect of the shop name.

I hope this helps

Interesting one Coman.

It's putting a verbal contraction down on paper, as in "everything I know is stupid, everything I do is inspired" becoming "everything I know's stupid, everything I do's inspired"

I can't find any affirmation online that such a written contraction actually exists or is documented in practice.

It certainly feels clumsy, and doesn't help comprehension unless you say it out loud - a bit like Irvine Welsh. :)

• 2 weeks later...

There's (or was judging by this article) a sex shop in Kings Cross called Pirate Shop, I guess they mixed the R and the I. Still, I liked to imagine it sold pieces of eight and dark rum.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pirate+shop+kings+cross&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=qfvCUIHrGoXV0QWrsYHQBQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=672#biv=i|0;d|0wJPXMPh3GaC2M: