Card cloned?

hat282

I used the cash point at Tesco Express East Dulwich Road early on Saturday and was informed yesterday that lots of large transactions went through my account and more were attempted later that day and on Sunday - none of which were mine. I cannot think where else my details could have been obtained. Anyone else had this happen there?

A friend of mine had their card cloned about a year ago and 3 x ?300 was taking out on three consecutive days. They also suspected that it was that same cashpoint at Tesco Express on the East Dulwich Road. To be honest thought hat282, only your bank will be able to tell you where it happened for sure. If it helps, my card was cloned about 5 years and ?1400 on my credit card went to a ' bts trading company, Lagos, Nigeria'!Don't worry though, although it's a pain in the butt, you should be fully reimbursed in about ten days time.

Hope that helps.

The other side of this - I had my bloody card stopped earlier this week due to "a potentially fraudulent pattern of transactions" - which on inquiry turned out to be my three purchases at the local toyshop, one purchase of petrol at a local garage, one local takeaway, and an Amazon purchase.

I only found out when four online transactions wouldn't go through and I phoned the bank to find out why.

When I asked why they hadn't phoned me about these supposedly fraudulent purchases, let alone tell me the card had been stopped, they said their fraud department was "very busy" but they would have let me know "within 24 hours."

No wonder they are "very busy" if they see people buying toys locally in the run-up to Christmas as potentially fraudulent.

GRRRRR.

It was First Direct, as well, who are usually excellent.

I had my card cloned last wk: someone bought pay as you go O2 phone credit up North at ?10 a time.(not so bad).

Lloyds & Natwest have since stopped my transactions querying 'fraudulent pattern' .....erm, buying Christmas presents. John lewis said banks do it so much at Christmas they have a whole team just dealing with repeating the transactions once cards are 'released' by the banks again.

Never come across it before this year though.

I know 4 people who have had cards cloned in the last month; all of who live in different areas and don't overlap.

One was me; they tried 3 online transactions of around ?300 that tried to go through on consecutive days. The bank contacted me and asked if any were mine. Have to say that they were excellent; although now they seem to be stopping random transactions that are me... even when it's at sites I've used in the past! Grrrrrr!

The bank told me that cashpoints aren't the main source these days - it's often ticket machines at stations/airports or the self-service checkouts since people don't look as closely at those slots as they do cashpoints.

This sort of action isn't really "cloning". Yes the card details are captured but it's not as if there is someone walking around with an exact copy of your card.

Banks at this time of year can be over cautious at this time of year especially if you are shopping from places, paying with card, that you haven't shopped in before. Usually local places flag up rather quickly. Banks know you're usual habits of shopping and when things change (as with anything) it doesn't like it.

It also depends on the shops payment set up and how up to date their C&P machines are. There has been a lot of development this last year with card payment secuirty which many smaller businesses are probably not aware of, not up to date with the latest software or simply don't have the facilities (money) to be update to date. It's an expensive thing this payment thing for small businesses.

It is also worth considering how you use your card - if you use your card more than once in the same place on the same day this may flag up with the bank and could potentially stop your card.

I had fraudulent activity on my card last week - 36 transactions made in half an hour most of which were ?1 transactions in succession (testing the acount) and then some mobile phone top ups. The fraud department advised it was from an american company - one I've never heard of let alone used - upon googling said company it turns out there are a lot of complaints against said company and is known to be fraudulent yet continues to operate...

Apparently it was "triggered", without wishing to scare monger here, after a payment through Facebook which I had made earlier in the day which was supposed to be secure.

Banks monitor fraud so a good bank should know if there has been a pattern of cards cloned at a particular machine on a certain day. My card was once cloned in Hammersmith and the first I knew of it was when the bank phoned me to tell me that they suspected there was a fraudulent transaction on my account - they knew exactly where the card had been cloned.

Salsaboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I had my credit card cloned last year whilst I was

> in the States. They managed to place 3 ?1000 bets

> on-line with Paddy Power in 2 minutes before it

> was stopped.

Sorry....