Dog poo on my doorstep

Sazzle30

Just wanted to say a big thankyou to the unknown dog walker on Melbourne Grove who allowed their dog to come into my front garden via the gate and cr*p on my welcome mat. Hope you are really pleased with yourself.

My other half had the day off and had to spend some of it clearing up after your dog.

Clearly I'm never going to get an apology or even an explanation but just needed to vent spleen.

Its people like you that make people dislike people with dogs

My next door neighbour has CCTV so fingers crossed it was recorded so I can post a picture on here

I had to ditch a pair of trainers last week because whilst doing something which entailed going backwards and forwards to the car in the dark I trod in dog poo obscured by the leaves on the pavement- thanks to the low life who allows their animal to do this and doesn't clear it up. Hopefully in the not too distant future, as a result of dog attacks and irresponsibility of owners in general, dogs will be banned from the city.

Thing is it sticks to everything so once you've cleared it up you need to clean the cleaning tool etc etc.

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Fox poo can also be very dark and hard, it can

> also be tinged with green- depends what they have

> been eating. I would think it was fox poo or a

> stray dog or someone walking their dog offlead.

How disgusting. Completely unforgiveable if the owner was aware. A few months ago I caught someone watching their hound curl one out on my road and still regret to this day not saying anything to her when I had the chance. Next time...

I find similar around our wheelie bins, and I suspect it's foxes (given the description from "the-e-dealer" above). Happens regularly, and I can't believe a local dog would be passing by, off-leash, and choose to do it in precisely the same place week after week. Impossible to see in the day-light sometimes, let alone last thing on an evening when I step out to drop something into the bins.

I check when I get in the front door (in proper light), if it's there: tuck the laces inside, and one-by-one, hold the sole of each shoe under a running shower head (hot water), then leave them to dry on the side of the bath. It's easy to deal with, IF you spot it the second you step into the house.

I'm just taking it as one of those inconveniences we have to live with, particularly if it's foxes. Not much we can do.

A fox dump often appears exactly the night after gardening has turned the soil, to re-state his/her trail across that territory. Alys Fowler recommends human urine sends a territorial message and foxes leave that bit of ground alone.

I don't know if it would work against dogs though. Dog Instinct makes them do their stool as a deliberate territorial marker, especially if they can scent lots of other creatures. It's possible that the Culprit described above was driven by scent remaining after a cat's spray on that doormat, for example.

The dominant dog chooses where to stake a claim, the subordinate one will go elsewhere. If you have many dominant dogs in a neighbourhood, there are usually poo-sites almost impossible to get cleared, even if the humans intervene with hygienic bins and scoopers the canine competitive marking and re-marking is always their goal.

About shoes, yuk, the safest place to clean them up is over the loo, using the bog brush and eco-cleaner, and then clean the toilet pan afterwards. An hour or two of real strong sunshine effectively helps kill germs, might be worth knowing one day (not much use this time of year).

kamila Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes, picture would be great :)

> I know exactly who's dog been pooing just outside

> my house but there isn't much I can do about it.

Go and have a dump just outside their house?

On balance I think the most likely explanation is that it's a fox or even a cat. Generally cats bury their poo, but not always- some cats, especially tom cats are highly territorial and will leave deposits to mark territory. The same goes for foxes and we are approaching the mating season.

If you know who is doing this do you know what time of day roughly they take the dog out and let it do this - I live off Melbourne Grove and have noticed quite a few piles of sh.t outside my house the past few weeks. I'd like to catch the person in the act. This is on the pavement by the way not in a garden so therefore unlikely to be a fox?