Racism in football

malumbu

Anyone at the Den last Saturday or Tuesday? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55223935

Good if rticle on racism in football in particular governments poor signalling https://bylinetimes.com/2020/12/07/george-eustices-trumpian-dog-whistle-will-only-embolden-the-far-right/?fbclid=IwAR0X6_yS2UwMMkviCOiD6kfJiie-q3QjPm-k3mVyUjMhlDXLnN9fimdOouk

It's not wokish (I hate that term but expect it to be levelled at this article) and recognises how much Millwall has done to address this problem over the years

My OP referred to how much Millwall had done to engage the community and stop this sort of thing. None of us were at the match so how do we know if it was ten, 100 or a 1000 people? Near empty grounds are pretty echoey and the TV mics could distort the level of noise. Have a look at the article, I'm more interested in this than Millwall. And at least Millwall did not have a racist captain like Chelsea.

I know there's a Nazi element to Swansea's support - one guy has a Swastika tattoo - the club tried to chuck them out but they are somehow still associated with the club and old photos keep resurfacing now and then.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/swansea-fan-nazi-salute-spurs-15106589

And some are stupid ...... "However, he claimed that he was merely waving at his family in the stand and indicated he was going for a cigarette or a pint."

But somehow the reputation sticks with Millwall above other clubs.

I posted an interesting article, Cat posted an alternative take, can others please actually join in the debate rather that site individual examples. I could talk about lots of racism that I have witnesses but would rather look at the big picture. Go on, indulge me please!

As far as I'm concerned Black Lives Matter is a movement not a political group. It's in the first line of the Wikipedia entry. The booers got it wrong or were targeted via social media with lies

"While there are specific organizations like the Black Lives Matter Global Network that label themselves simply as "Black Lives Matter", the Black Lives Matter movement comprises a broad array of people and organizations. The slogan "Black Lives Matter" itself remains untrademarked by any group."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Lives_Matter#:~:text=As%20a%20movement%2C%20Black%20Lives,the%20subject%20of%20scholarly%20literature.

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I posted an interesting article, Cat posted an

> alternative take, can others please actually join

> in the debate rather that site individual

> examples. I could talk about lots of racism that

> I have witnesses but would rather look at the big

> picture. Go on, indulge me please!

I thought the point of debate was to look at everyone's views and not steer it in one direction only?

Maybe some consideration to take when seeking feedback/input?

We urgently need to kick racism out of football, and out of society in total. There is no place for racism. Well done for the players taking the knee, and on the second occasion, Milwall seems to get it. I personally was sick to my stomach when I heard supporters booing players. If players carry out an anti-racist gesture and are booed for these actions, you can only conclude one thing from these supporters, glad they did not give that reaction a second time around.

I used to live near Fratton Park as a kid, I was a fan of another team but thought I'd try going to my first football match with some friends to Fratton.

In the end I didn't go, in fact I gave-up on football as something to actively participate in as a fan, chiefly because of the perpetual violence (ie. Stanley knives and drunken fans) and racism.

Watching these fans misbehave was like watching over-sized children who'd just discovered alcohol. Belligerent aggression and vandalism.

Utterly pathetic, and far beneath a 15yr old me.

Probably these behaviours are overall in the minority, but boy do they do the reputation of football a grave disservice.

Shame because there may be many potential fans lost for similar reasons.