Pickwick Rd caught

Harry73

I think I might have been caught this morning by the same local restrictions. I thought the restrictions only applied to the side roads and was driving back from Belair Park to East Dulwich through the village. As I was on the main road I thought that was ok and I?d missed bit of the sign indicating the restriction applied to an upcoming road.

If it comes through I?ll have to pay but when I checked these are experimental orders expiring in 2022 unless the council make a full order (which will mean they need to do consultation) and the provisions of he permanent order may be different to the experimental order. It maybe optimistic but there could be some changes. If you don?t tell them officially what?s not working they won?t know and have no reason to consider a change.

Statements (constructive) with how the restrictions are affecting you personally may be taken into consideration - the council can show they?ve listened to users.

If you agree or not here are details from the notice on how to make comments.

?The council will in due course be considering whether the provisions of the experimental order /s should be continued in force indefinitely, by means of a permanent order made under section 6 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984. Anyone wishing to object to the making of the permanent orders or make any other representation regarding the scheme would have 6 months to do so, from the date the experimental order comes into force (or, if the order is varied by a subsequent order or modified pursuant to section 10(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, from the date that variation order or modification comes into force), and may send a statement to [email protected] or to: Traffic Order

consultations, Highways, Southwark Council, Environment and Leisure, P.O. Box 64529, London SE1P 5LX; or use the form labelled 'Parking - Road traffic and highway schemes - responding to statutory consultation notices' at www.southwark.gov.uk/statutoryconsultationnotices quoting the reference ?TMO2021-EXP16_LSP Dulwich 2?. Please note that if you wish to object to the scheme you must state the grounds on which your objection is made. ?

I?m going to respond and copy to my local councillor.

I got a warning in the post this morning - not a fine this time but saying I'd be charged ?130/?65 if I do it again.

Trouble is, I don't understand what I did wrong. I was driving through the centre of Dulwich Village (from Gallery Road heading towards East Dulwich Grove). I didn't go up Pickwick Road. Are we not even allowed to drive through the village at all now? Where is the sign? I totally missed it.

Hi Redjam - Dulwich Village itself has restrictions on northbound traffic during the periods of the timed closures. These are effected by two "bus gates" (ie only open to buses, taxis, cycles), both of which are at the Gallery Road/Burbage Road/Dulwich Village roundabout.

If you are coming up Gallery Road during the restricted time periods (8-10am and 3-6pm monday to friday), then you must not (i) turn left into Burbage Road; or (ii) go straight ahead into Dulwich Village (ie you can only head back to the South Circular via Gallery or College Road, so no point driving up Gallery Road in the first place). There are blue signs indicating that this is the case. Hope that helps.

redjam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I got a warning in the post this morning - not a

> fine this time but saying I'd be charged ?130/?65

> if I do it again.

I got two warnings, dated a week apart but received on the same day, for driving down Burbage Road.

I was very relieved on opening the second one, which I assumed was going to be a fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Grrrrr. Seems like they have stopped giving warnings now. My wife just got a ?65 ("reduced") charge for this exact spot. We don't drive often so had no idea about any of this. Seems like a ludicrous restriction when they've closed so many other routes and it doesn't seem very clearly signed at all. :-(

Just to clarify for anyone reading here - I'm assuming that Pickwick road is the reference to the point on Dulwich Village (the road) where the infringement was recorded. The bus gate is south of Pickwick on the northbound carriageway.

There are significant amounts of signage plus the words 'bus gate' painted on the road - i understand that when people drive a route frequently they can become blind to changes, but there are quite a few signs!

@northernmonkey - yes, Pickwick Rd is the reference, but the camera we were caught by is entering Dulwich Village from the roundabout by Gallery / College Rd.

Having since gone back on my bike to check, I would disagree strongly about the significant amount of signage for this restriction. There is one sign on each side of the road (one of which is obscured by a tree on the approach), they are not lit and there are no road markings about a bus gate. On top of this, 25m or so before the roundabout (Gallery Rd) approach has a sign stating no left turn (into Burbage) during the restricted hours, but doesn't mention straight on (into Dulwich Village).

It's a Southwark cash-cow, pure and simple.

Anyway, no point in me moaning away here! Hopefully it makes others aware and I will go appeal the fine in the meantime and drop a note to the local councillors to try and either remove the restriction or make signage clearer.