Do boiler service/repair companies have an abundance of work?

ClareC

I just had the most bizzare experience! It was like a wind up......

My combi boiler produces significantly hotter water when the heating and hot water is on as opposed to when just the hot water is on. In addition, when the hot water only is on the radiators are slightly warm. Its not been a problem as the boiler works, however I am currently home with a stinking cold and decided to use the time to organise a boiler service since although its not technically broken it would appear to not be working as it should.

I did a google search of the boiler model and came up with a website offering Baxi boiler repairs and servicing. I called and enquired as to the price of a service and was asked by a rather terse Scottish lady if anything was wrong with the boiler. I explained the above to which I was told they only service perfectly working boilers and I would need a repair prior to service. I explained that it did actually work, but was again advised that a repair was necessary first. Upon asking for a price I was told they charged ?130 plus VAT an hour plus parts and ?130 plus VAT for the subsequent service.

I thought this hourly charge quite steep and was dubious that it could be an open cheque book so tried to get an indication on total cost to which she became very stroppy and quite rude.

I appreciate that they do not know what is wrong (if anything) but is it really so wrong to be asked an idea of the likely cost prior to ordering a service.

Having got off the phone and called another much friendlier place, I couldn't quite believe how rude this lady had been at what I believe to be a sensible line of enquiry. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Clare, I hava a Baxi Boiler. They do an insurance type scam which I had to take up recently. Annual charge of ?229 paid in monthly instalments and it covers the cost of any repair, parts and a new boiler if that is necessary. I think that compared to the hassle of finding and then paying exorbitant fees it kind of works out better for the cash flow. The only problem is it does not cover a service but I think you can pay a bit more and the plan does include an annual service.

Asset wrote: Annual charge of ?229 paid in monthly

In 4 years or less you have paid them enough to purchase a new boiler.

It is a very expensive way of 'renting' your CH system when lots of good CH men are available via the forum.

Divert your 229 into a domestic account of your own and save your money.

Clare the motorized valve which Bob said sounds right to me, they are a regular item for change usually you can get a new head which drives it for about ?20 or less and a CH man worth his salt, would be in and out in less than half an hour. The whole new valve is around ?50 but then it take a couple of hours to drain down and refill. Ring John Morris or his partner mark 0797 353 1511 he has just done mine.

Ps general servicing is of little value, it does not prevent breakdowns just have it fixed when a problem occurs.

Yes but you can cancel it after the first year once the repair has been done. Insurance is always a difficult one to square isn't it.

The repair that I needed doing would have cost at least ?175 all in so it was worth it for me, may not be everyone.

not been a year yet, but I intend to.

do you think that is correct re. the servicing? I've been worrying about mine as I have a paranoia about it exploding. It has never been serviced and has been in for 6 years.

Servicing boilers is a thing of the past since natural gas emerged.

The reason boilers needed servicing originally was to remove all the ash deposits left by coal gas, if you didn't have it cleaned it would soot up, as the flames turned from blue (healthy) to yellow like a candle flame, which coats in soot anything it touches (unhealthy carbon monoxide is given off)

Every time some one messes with your boiler, the more chances they have of forgetting to refix what they removed.

Explosions are from a build up of gas in a confined space, if you have all your faculties IE sense of smell, then you are not in danger.

Whilst the boiler is running let it be, repair it when it stops heating the place, or if it becomes irritatingly noisey that is the heat exchanger that Bob mentioned.

I despise these insurance policies that are sold on irrational fear, they are such a rip off and they are usually designed not to pay out, when one is most in need.

The most troublesome items in a CH system are the motorized valve, the thermostat, and the pump, each can be replaced more cheaply than your annual insurance layout. The odds are unlikely you'll need 2 items exchanged in the same year.

Dear Asset, I really hadn't intended to chew your ears off. Bet you wont be asking me about servicing or anything else again;-)

I don't have a condenser boiler. The last repair was the heat exchanger as the pressure was right up into the red when the boiler was running. I now have a problem where the flame keeps failing, do you know why that could be o boiler experts?

At least I still have the insurance policy running and can get this new problem fixed too. Sometimes these policies are the only thing to do if one has cash flow issues, boiler repair plumber type people are notoriously difficult to pin down and tend to have quite large labour and call out charges so spreading the cost is better for me. As it now looks like I may have to call them out again I could well be getting my money's worth.

Ooh la la.

If you have a 'problem boiler' an insurance policy is worth its weight in gold. My dear old Ma must be on British Gas's hit list.. her boiler has cost them well over a grand in the space of two years.. They must be regretting that twelve quid a month offer they made to her.

Most people pay for insurance they'll never need though. But that's insurance all over, isn't it?

Going out today Steve so doesn't fit in with my schedule.

Exactly *Bob*. they have us by the short 'n' curlies, buildings insurance, contents insurance, car insurance blah blah blah.

And most of us never have to make a claim. Legal extortion.

• 1 month later...

Hey clareC

Yes...even i have experienced the same situation and even i have searched for a better service in the google. At last i find a better service from Northern gas whose website is http://www.northerngasheating.com. These people are awesome in the service to the customers. Hope these people will help you and solve your problem.

(tu) Hope This works for you...

SteveT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Servicing boilers is a thing of the past since

> natural gas emerged.

> The reason boilers needed servicing originally was

> to remove all the ash deposits left by coal gas,

> if you didn't have it cleaned it would soot up, as

> the flames turned from blue (healthy) to yellow

> like a candle flame, which coats in soot anything

> it touches (unhealthy carbon monoxide is given

> off)

> Every time some one messes with your boiler, the

> more chances they have of forgetting to refix what

> they removed.

> Explosions are from a build up of gas in a

> confined space, if you have all your faculties IE

> sense of smell, then you are not in danger.

> Whilst the boiler is running let it be, repair it

> when it stops heating the place, or if it becomes

> irritatingly noisey that is the heat exchanger

> that Bob mentioned.

> I despise these insurance policies that are sold

> on irrational fear, they are such a rip off and

> they are usually designed not to pay out, when one

> is most in need.

> The most troublesome items in a CH system are the

> motorized valve, the thermostat, and the pump,

> each can be replaced more cheaply than your annual

> insurance layout. The odds are unlikely you'll

> need 2 items exchanged in the same year.

> Dear Asset, I really hadn't intended to chew your

> ears off. Bet you wont be asking me about

> servicing or anything else again;-)

hi

If you worried about your servicing just forget it now because I have found http://www.northerngasheating.com that takes care of everything includes your installation, boiler servicing. I can say this from my experience getting from them they provide the best service.