Bins rifled through by carol singers

ryedalema

A lovely surprise last night - carol singers on our doorstep. Hadn't seen them for a while (can't remember any last year) and hopeful of many more!

Sadly though, these ones went through our bins...our rubbish strewn down the street afterwards :( (and yes we did give them some cash)

Hope we get more genuine carol singers.

And these ones, shame on you!

Admittedly no - but had put something out just beforehand and securely put the lids on the bins

Then heard rustling and banging after we closed the door to them...

So went out to check to find the carollers going down the street, rubbish strewn across our path and the street and both bin lids completely open

And bizarrely some stuff had swapped from the recycling to the green bin..

So yes, an element of doubt...not sure how much though.

Its been going on for years.

In the early 1950s when I was a child, my elder sister and myself made our own Christmas tree. They didn't sell them on street corners in those days, and even if they did, with everybody living hand to mouth as they were we wouldn't have been able to afford one. Anyway, I digress. We took a straight branch around four foot long and tied sprigs of holly tree to it. It looked very realistic, but we were missing some holly (red) berries for it. We scouted around and found some, problem was they were all adjacent to the back doors of peoples' houses. Not to worry, that evening we went carol singing to the said houses, snatching all the berries we could to the strains of 'Once in Royal David's City'.

We did feel a bit guilty when the people in one house invited us in and gave us a drink of pop and a mince pie for our labours. But we had our berries to put on our Christmas tree, that was the main thing. Now we had something to put the Christmas presents under.

What did we get for Christmas in those days?

Don't ask!!!