Ultra Low Emission Zone - to have a car or not?

malumbu

Not to debate the intro and extension of the ULEZ (as originally proposed by the current PM https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/ultra-low-emission-zone)), or LTNs etc, rather:

Do you own a non-compliant car or motorbike?

And what are you going to do?

Looking at my street around 3/4 of the cars currently parked will need to pay.

It may be the push we need to get rid of it - annual mileage falling each year and economically more sense to use public transport, active transport, e bike/scooter, Uber, Data Cars, Zip or hire. And in the next decade autonomous pods.

Or maybe the perceived convenience will be too great and we'll pay the access charge

Or have some sort of local car sharing scheme.

Or even buy another car.......

Be interested to hear you views. Let's try to keep it on topic.

I have a non-compliant car, old but regularly serviced and always passes its MOT.

I am hoping to sell it (for not very much) to somebody who doesn't need to visit the ULEZ, or at least not often.

At present my intention is to get another car, because I need a car to ferry bulky and heavy stuff to and from my allotment, and to visit family (a lot more convenient than public transport, because of where they are situated). And to go to festivals etc. when having to transport a tent, bedding, etc etc.

Hiring a car is not economical if it's sitting outside somebody's house or in a field for several days.

If there was a scheme where I could drop a hired car off at my destination, and then hire another one to return home, I might consider it for stays of several days. But I don't know of such a scheme.

The stuff I take to and from my allotment tends to make a mess of the car, so I'm not sure that a car sharing scheme would be suitable for that.

I'm also interested to hear others' views. I'm also pissed off because so far the Covid situation has made it quite difficult to do anything about this, and so far as I know the ULEZ introduction date isn't being extended.

Like you my car will have to go.

I cannot spare any money to buy another. I also need to the car to take bits and pieces here and there and public transport is not an option.

It will also mean I will not be able to take dog out farther afield , take grandson fishing and to other sports or see the grandchildren as much.

Moving all the bits needed will create a mess and the hire cars are very small.

But the most important fact is my wife needs the car to get around because of medical problems so it means she will be house bound as public transport is not an option. The car was originally bought to cover her needs. A replacement car to do this is unaffordable.

Like you my car has been looked after and for all intents and purposes is brand new.

But if losing my car helps the sub continent and China burn more polluting fuels I must do my bit to help them regardless of the problems it will cause me.

I can understand measures to keep the city centers clean but not all roads within the North and South circular roads.

Still if this Mayor can ban swimsuits from the tube he is capable of anything. Never anything he does is thought out and the full consequences understood.

How many people will lose their right to continue their lives because of this. How many small garages will go out of business?

Try selling your car outside of london people know it only has scrap value now. Worthless and car dealers will not offer any more because they cannot sell them.

spider69 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Try selling your car outside of london people know

> it only has scrap value now. Worthless and car

> dealers will not offer any more because they

> cannot sell them.

Why would it be unsaleable outside of London?

It's surely only unsaleable to anybody who needs to come into the ULEZ zone frequently?

Called supply and demand. There will be a few more older vehicles on sale and some bargains to be had. Some of these will be cars bought on the scappage scheme. Most of the serious depreciation will already have happened There was plenty of warning and most of us decided to wait until late in the day. Bit of a non-story.

More interested on what the rest of us are doing. PS Sue we had ex-friends, one a green councillor, who came down from Yorkshire by train with three kids, tent, wheelbarrow etc the Cambridge Folk Festival. They managed for several years travelling home and away like this. They were wonderful role models, but then he passed his test, and became a bit of a petrol head.

Our car will have to go - and in a non-covid world it would have sat idle for months on end as we're using public transport for pretty much everything. A bit different now but I guess (hope) that is temporary...

Will need a car for regular camping trips and to visit family in Devon and in the past, the option of train + hire cars was crazily expensive (one trip would have cost more than insurance for the year)

I wonder what creative options there are...

My Aygo is 14 years old and still passes the tests :)

I'll keep it for now even though I hardly use it - but every year I'm closer to some kind of rental/pick up scheme. Maybe I should try it out whilst the car is still here.

I'll never sell it except to "we but any car" types (and that's scrap)

malumbu Wrote:

--------------------------------------------------

> PS Sue we had ex-friends, one a green councillor,

> who came down from Yorkshire by train with three

> kids, tent, wheelbarrow etc the Cambridge Folk

> Festival. They managed for several years

> travelling home and away like this. They were

> wonderful role models, but then he passed his

> test, and became a bit of a petrol head.

Many many questions spring to my mind 🤣🤣🤣