Damp problems and the PCA

jrpfinch

I am skeptical about chemical damp-proofing. I don't want to say anything stronger than that in case libel lawyers come chasing me! The chances of your original damp course having failed are extremely low. Slate, for example, which is used in many late Victorian houses should last centuries. Even if the slate has cracked, the amount of water likely to get through is small and unlikely to cause significant damp problems.

The most likely causes of damp appear to be:

1) slow leaks in pipework, guttering or downpipes

2) soil level too high

3) poor ventilation

As far as I can see, the only safe option is to hire a surveyor with damp expertise who is not affiliated to the damp-related trade associations (e.g. the PCA).

I am exploring two options:

www.dampnessdiagnosis.com

www.damp-diagnosis.co.uk/damp_profile.htm

The latter, Ralph Burkinshaw, lives just off Denmark Hill.

The downside of hiring an independent surveyor is that they are very expensive. Ralph has quoted ?487.50 for the survey.

I assume there could be an additional ?500-?1000 plastering/brickwork/flooring/ventilation costs after that.

However, if that fixes the problem forever, I'm not too fussed.

• 3 weeks later...

After receiving a number of PMs I thought I'd keep this thread updated.

Local man Ralph has finished his report and it appears thorough (although the true test is whether the damp is kept away)

It doesn't look great. The moral of the story is damp guarantees are largely worthless and it's always worth following up even a hint of damp on a survey before buying a house.

There was rotten chipboard under the carpet along with some rotten joists. New joists required, floorboard instead of crappy chipboard New skirting and re plaster.

This doesn't sound cheap.

• 5 months later...
Just wondered if there were any more updates to this thread. I too have been let down by a 'guarantee' for a problem which I can pretty much diagnose myself. We have a leaking internal pipe coupled with a semi basement flat that has signs of penetrating damp from the high ground level. I'm now looking for a decent company that I can trust to investigate the leak (and its a rather major investigation behind boxing in - and running through 3 flats) and a company who will tank the walls once the leak is fixed. Any recommendations or hints gratefully received!!

Update to my situation (this may not help you beanie, but may others)

Part of our work involved hacking off the old plaster to (the damp) brick and starting again. A couple of Victorian house maintenance books recommended using lime plaster, as this is breathable so less condensation gets trapped in the wall. However, all the builders/plasterers I spoke to said I should seal the wall using a cement-based plaster.

The builder I eventually used hacked off the plaster and reapplied a cement-based plaster onto the still-damp wall. Four months on it's still not dry, although it does appear to be drying slowly with the help of a dehumidifier. There are salt stains all over the plaster.

I now recognise that when builders can't do something (or can't be bothered), rather than admitting it they proceed to recommend something they can do, even if it's not appropriate. There don't appear to be many builders who can be bothered to lime plaster.

With hindsight, I would have carried on searching for a builder who could lime plaster, insisted they hack off the plaster, wait for the brick to dry, repoint using lime mortar and finally plaster using lime plaster.

If you find a local builder/plasterer who can do this, please let me know! I'm looking for someone like these guys in Shropshire:

http://www.heritage-house.org/

• 1 month later...

Just caught up with your reply! Much appreciated. Ours turns out is not a leaking waste pipe...well that's the advice of a plumber. I'm now faced with getting a tanking company round to have a look - I feel like a big cheque is on the cards but with a baby on the way I just want something done and quickly with a decent guarantee to cover it if it fails. I can't change the outside ground level so we have to work around that.

Interesting what you same about the lime cement, like you say - it definitely seems that trades do what the know and don't admit when they can't deliver.

I'll let you know if I find someone who can lime render! Ours isn't Victorian - rather frustratingly its a solid concrete block built post war after bomb damage so who knows what delights we'll find when we investigate further!

Hi Greenbeanie

If you would like us to have a look we can, free surveys and quoation.

We have had a few good reviews on the East Dulwich forus, please check out our website www.sedamp.com or call us on 02083044933

Regards

Eddie

South Eastern Damp Proofing