Sunlit uplands. Are we there yet?

zerkalo

to be fair to the app, it's doing what it's supposed to, no?

What's lacking is any support for people who have to isolate, or for the companies/organisations who have to do without them. All happening as we fully open with rising infections

The app isn't the problem

Still, world beating vaccination thanks to not being in the EU and all that what what!!

Cummings latest Twitter pontifications on the NI protocol are pretty breathtaking. Apparently it would all have been alright had we just refused to any customs checks. The EU wouldn't have forced a border on the Island of Island and Macron (?) would have insisted on checks between the RI and the EU, effectively pushing them out of the single market?! So that was the masterplan that would have made everything fine? Honestly, he's deranged.

Can someone explain to me why the 0.5 percent of EU trade that goes over the Irish border is subject to 20percent of customs checks.

I mean the EU is so amazing, it couldn't be that they are acting in bad faith could it?

TheCat Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Can someone explain to me why the 0.5 percent of

> EU trade that goes over the Irish border is

> subject to 20percent of customs checks.

>

> I mean the EU is so amazing, it couldn't be that

> they are acting in bad faith could it?

Do you have details to back that up? How is that percentage of ?checks? being determined, how is that percentage of trade being calculated?

Ok I think I?ve found TheCat?s source. It?s from the NI Agricultural Committee?s evidence in March (http://aims.niassembly.gov.uk/officialreport/minutesofevidencereport.aspx?AgendaId=25634&eveID=12928) and I?ve quoted the relevant section below.

In essence it?s 20% of all documentary checks on a specific form of declaration (not all checks carried out at the EU border). The reason for this is pretty obvious, the Irish Sea is the only part of the EUs customs border across which people are trying to run an integrated retail supply chain for animal products. Erecting a customs border is literally what you voted for - what did you think would happen?

Of course it isn?t actually the EU carrying out those checks, it?s the Northern Irish Civil Service following a UK law implementing an agreement between the EU and the UK government that ?got Brexit done?. Should the Northern Irish civil servants simply not check the paperwork the UK government agreed they?d check? What about when I next fly to Australia can I take a suitcase full of cured meat and cheese and if stopped just tell them TheCat said to stop acting in bad faith?

Relevant section from the evidence that I could see:

_The unit that we focus on for analysis is the common health entry document (CHED). You will hear us talking about CHEDs and, sometimes, we talk about export health certificates (EHCs). Those are broadly similar. There are differences and, again, we can talk you through those. From 4 January 2021 to 28 February 2021, some 57,486 freight units travelled through Northern Ireland points of entry from GB ports. On average, a quarter of those were carrying SPS goods. Of those SPS freight units, 71% were retail, so, to give you a sense of it, within SPS, the majority is retail.

From 1 January 2021 to 28 February 2021, some 13,629 documentary checks were completed on those CHEDs by DAERA staff. That is an important figure. That has increased consistently from week 1, when just over 1,114 checks were completed in a week. In the most recent week's figures, the comparable number was 1,938, around 2,000 checks. That demonstrates a very significant improvement in compliance by the industry and, equally, the hard work of the DAERA team, which has been actively helping people who are transporting food into Northern Ireland to comply with the requirements as far as they possibly can. Some 92% of common health entry documents are for products of animal origin, or so-called CHED-P documents.

It is worth saying that the scale of documentary checks is huge by any standards. By way of illustration, our population is under 0?5% of that across the European Union, yet the documentary checks, according to the systems that have been completed so far, would represent one fifth of the equivalent documentation right across the EU. This reflects the fact that we are dealing with a domestic food distribution system, and not bulk movements of international trade commodities. What is clear is that we are handling a burden of work that is stretching us to the limit and which can only get less sustainable as we move beyond the grace periods ? again, depending on what happens ? particularly those with regard to retail consignments. That is because, if you think about it, that is where the majority of the CHEDs will come from._

It?s probably time for Borish to launch a new bridge project, or ship, or an airport made on an island in the Thames estuary.

Or a park on a cloud even

I wrote the above yesterday in anticipation of the government?s latest ?hey look over there? smokescreen.

Of courses, Priti Patel?s ?I?ll make criminals clean the streets? beat me too it. That and Johnson w4nking off for the crowd with his extension of section 60.

Crap government, hardly surprising crime goes up when you take money out of education and youth services.

Seabag Wrote:

> It?s probably time for Borish to launch a new

> bridge project, or ship, or an airport made on an

> island in the Thames estuary.

>

> Or a park on a cloud even

>

> I wrote the above yesterday in anticipation of the

> government?s latest ?hey look over there?

> smokescreen.

>

>

> Of courses, Priti Patel?s ?I?ll make criminals

> clean the streets? beat me too it. That and

> Johnson w4nking off for the crowd with his

> extension of section 60.

>

> Crap government, hardly surprising crime goes up

> when you take money out of education and youth

> services.

Blowjo is at it again

Maybe, could happen, dunno, blah blah blah. Buying a new boat for the Queen (which let?s be honest, is she likely to ever step foot on it?) is the latest distraction ?oh look over there? from this shameless great oaf.

Thing is, you look across the water at the GOP & Trumps overheated mind, exhausting out of his mouth and you get the feeling Johnson sees it all as fair game. And a breather from talking about the Ireland cock up he?s created.

https://apple.news/AUMYwOdmPT4i3FhqHTWoC5g

• 2 weeks later...

"Many business people in the north-east tell me the only way to improve the situation is to go back into the single market."

- CEO of North East England Chamber of Commerce

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/aug/09/no-strategic-plan-brexit-james-ramsbotham-north-east-chamber-of-commerce

plus talk of Army on the streets to get food delivered to supermarkets

The only country to deliberately slap itself in the face

The remain campaign was pretty poor, and let's face it many of us could have done more - for me it was because I didn't think we'd be so daft to vote leave.

I was at North Cross Road Market and they were leafleting - one of the benefits being free mobile roaming around Europe. I said is that the best we can come up with?

But now we are losing this, I appreciate how great it is/was.

malumbu Wrote:

> The remain campaign was pretty poor, and let's

> face it many of us could have done more - for me

> it was because I didn't think we'd be so daft to

> vote leave.

>

> I was at North Cross Road Market and they were

> leafleting - one of the benefits being free mobile

> roaming around Europe. I said is that the best we

> can come up with?

>

> But now we are losing this, I appreciate how great

> it is/was.

Dream on.

Sephiroth Wrote:

> I see Nando?s have more than 10% of restaurants

> shut today because of ?supply issues?

>

> Supply issues not affecting their branches in

> Ireland

>

> Wonder what those supply issues are

Don't think we care anymore do we?

It would appear that no, people don?t care anymore

Why that is remains a mystery given what is transpiring versus what people were complaining about in 2016

Still brits be brits.

Outward appearance: Cuppa tea. Mustn?t grumble

Actuality: silent, seething, endless unhappiness and victimhood

Sephiroth Wrote:

> It?s not healthy is what I?m saying. And bad

> things will come of it

Oh I don?t know. I don?t eat Nandos myself but I?m sure the occasional one as part of a balanced diet wouldn?t do any harm.