Sunlit uplands. Are we there yet?

zerkalo

• 1 month later...

Here is one thing we can agrtee on totally seph. This imperial measurement thing is one of the stupidest annoucnements I've ever seen.

As you well, know I beleive there are many other proper, material benefits that could imporve the economic outlook, and need to be explored (and havent throuigh govt ineptitude, not becuase Brexit doesnt make it possible)....and if imperial measurements are the type of 'benefit' the government want to trumpet, then its a gift for critics of brexit mock the whole thing.....

Pay attention, I had a thread on the daftness of Imperial Units a few months ago. Where I said that in the 70s Kelloggs had a cereal box campaign with simple ditties to convert to real world units. In the 80s a traditional Tory minister addressed the newly formed Office of Fair Trading and extolled the virtues of the metric system.

I was reading about e=mc2 and what units you have to use for it to work

If c is in feet per second,

e becomes foot-pounds (A unit of work equal to the work or energy needed to lift a one-pound weight a distance of one foot against the force of the Earth's gravity)

and m is in slugs (1 foot pound accelerates one slug at 1 ft/s?).

That list of 2000 suggestions on what to do solicited by Rees-mogg has more sucky vacuum cleaners at number two.

Would love to see what?s at the bottom of the list

Getting rid of Johnson won?t help. Let?s say it?s mordaunt. Or hunt. Or truss. Or (insert your own favourite here)

None of them can get us to sunlit uplands

Because Sure none of them are very capable. But more realistically it?s fools gold in first place and only dumb people continue to insist otherwise. (Yes you can be super clever and dumb simultaneously)

What Timmy golf club in Surrey wants isn?t what Brenda in Carmarthen wants. Or what hannan/cat want

Now politics has always been a broad church. But only Brexit promised so much to so many competing views as it?s own special promise.

Country still is nowhere near coming close to realising. It?s still all communism ?if only it was done my way?

• 2 weeks later...

Nadine at the sherry again

?Out of the EU, our new Data Reform Bill will ensure everyone can take back control of their personal data.

We're also making it far easier for businesses to unlock the power of data to grow the economy, while strengthening the UK?s high data protection standards 👇 ?

• 3 months later...

Now that Minford has a seat at the table and the U.K. is in free fall and he is writing columns like this in todays telegraph, I think this post holds up pretty well

All of this chaos stems from listening to oddballs like this from 2016 onwards

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/09/27/no-sterling-crisis-except-minds-idiots/

""So, I'm apparently a member of a 'vanishingly small collection of oddballs'? "

Well yes - again, objectively so. Polls continue to show support for Brexit falling, as people who voted for their brexit (very different from yours) realise they are being screwed. But the oddballs are out there for everyone to see - the ones pushing for this weird, hard, pretend EU doesn't exist - the Bakers, The Frosts, the Mordaunts and yes the Trumps of this world - they are in a tiny minority. Everyone can see this

"t's worth remembering that the Brexit campaign was backed by former party leaders, former foreign secretaries and chancellors of the exchequer. It was backed by historians, economists and political theorists"

if you are going to highlight such luminaries, it would be dishonest if you didn't also point out that all of those categories had members against Brexit, and in fair greater numbers and with far more credibility than any of the ones you care to name? Economists? Minford and his cohorts? That simply isn't credible? Anyone you name in that list will be seen as on the crankish end of their spectrum, and in very small numbers

Am I wrong or factually incorrect with that statement?

But putting that aside - even if all too esteemed leaders were ALL campaigning for brexit - it wasn't this brexit. It wasn't YOUR brexit. It's a all a lie, a fantasy and a scam. You can have a brexit - but you won't be happy with it and neither will any other brexit faction

"Well.....I'd really love to know what overwhelming credentials you have? what your towering achievements are, that you can look down your nose at all these people and dismiss their considered judgement out of hand? Not even worthy of an 'agree to disagree' concession, as you've mentioned many time before.....? "

Who claimed overwhelming credentials? Just a voter like you - but one who recognises that if I listen to all of the professions you claim to be in support of brexit - they all come down on side of Remain, in big numbers. So I listen to them -because they know more than their kookish compadres

Promises made by Brexiteers are not in their gift to deliver - and that is not something we can "agree to disagree on"

Meanwhile another big voice on the Leave side I posting nonsense like this today

https://conservativehome.com/2022/09/28/daniel-hannan-no-the-pound-isnt-crashing-because-of-a-trifling-batch-of-tax-cuts/

we can have as many "how bad is this tory leader compared to the last one" type threads as we like - all of this madness stems from this sunlit uplands nonsense

What we're seeing, once again, is what happens when this extreme version of Brexit eventually meets reality.

The UK has now become a petri dish for the fantasy libertarian economics of the IEA et al while the rest of the world looks on aghast.

It's no longer a cult, it's become a deathcult.

All self-inflicted, all totally unnecessary, all consumed at the altar of Brexit...

Given that all Truss and KK are talking about is “supply-side” reforms I did enjoy this

“find so awful? As an aside, I don't really know what you mean by a 'supply-side' brexit, but given the sophistication of some of your previous economic arguments, I'll do you a favour and won't dig too deep.”

It's pointless even having a discussion with someone who clearly wilfully ignores the real meanings of the words 'objective', 'partisan' or 'true'....but uses them as window dressing to support blinkered, facile commentary for which the only purpose appears to be a vehicle to proclaim 'Ha..the other side was wrong'....

I, in no way, have engaged with you over the years to try to get you to change your mind or prove remain 'wrong'. I haven't been trying to 'win an argument'...but perhaps just to engender some appreciation that there might be an alternative perspective which has some shred of validity..even one you stridently disagree with. But after all this time, that clearly remains (no pun intended) a step too far for you.

So, I'm apparently a member of a 'vanishingly small collection of oddballs'? I guess these oddballs and myself are people who see opportunity in some of those areas for regulatory divergence, to reshape a national economy (which will obviously take time) as mentioned in the CBI speech you find so awful? As an aside, I don't really know what you mean by a 'supply-side' brexit, but given the sophistication of some of your previous economic arguments, I'll do you a favour and won't dig too deep.

In anycase, I would flag to you and your ?sneering remainer? pals, that's it's worth remembering that the Brexit campaign was backed by former party leaders, former foreign secretaries and chancellors of the exchequer. It was backed by historians, economists and political theorists. It was backed by former chiefs of the general staff and heads of the security services. It was backed by heads of global businesses, some of the UK's leading entrepreneurs, heads of charities, and some of the largest fund managers. Name a field of endeavour and you'll find Brexit supporters. Obviously the Remain camp can field a similarly impressive list of supporters, I wouldn't deny that for an instant. And equally I would never be so blinkered as to merely dismiss them as ignorant europhiles. I'd argue that proponents of brexit warrant similar respect, even if you stridently disagree with their view on this issue. You have repeatedly made clear that you don't believe they are deserving of anything more than your derisory mockery.

Well.....I'd really love to know what overwhelming credentials you have? what your towering achievements are, that you can look down your nose at all these people and dismiss their considered judgement out of hand? Not even worthy of an 'agree to disagree' concession, as you've mentioned many time before.....?

Objective? I really don't think you know the meaning of the word

Catty has wanged on about this in the past as well. Not just any data protection. BWITISH!!! DATA PROTECTION!!

So let’s see how this one goes eh?

(Spoiler: nowhere meaningful at all)

“Big cheer for Culture secretary Michelle Donelan as she announces plans to replace GDPR with a new "British Data Protection" plan focused on commonsense while protecting data privacy.

It will be a "British system of data protection," she says. Big cheer from the audience. #CPC22”