Desperate for ceilidh or irish or folk or swing band for the 9th Feb

Nick.Bird

Hi there,

I posted a couple of weeks ago specifically looking for a ceilidh band but haven't had a lot of joy.

I really want to have a bit of a good old fashioned knees up for my 40th and would love a band that is lots of fun to get people of all ages up and moving.

Any suggestions... the date is looming and I am starting to feel the strain

Cheers

The ceilidh band we had at our wedding are based in Gloucestershire but advertise on their website that they are happy to travel to London and indeed they are in London quite a bit. They were called the George Buchanan ceilidh band.

I've also heard Licence to Ceilidh play at various Burns Night suppers and they were fab (and based in London) although they might be quite expensive - worth a try nevertheless.

Good luck with your hunt - if you're still stuck, it might be worth emailing one of the regular ceilidh venues in London and asking for some recommendations.

S

The No Frills Band are very good. They're based around Brixton.

They do all sorts of lively folkie stuff. Not really a ceilidh band though.

PM me if you want their contact details.

If it's specifically a ceilidh band you're after, you could try contacting Cecil Sharp House? Although they're the the ENGLISH folk dance and song society, I'm sure they would be able to point you in the right direction .....

http://www.efdss.org/

GIG CB are brilliant. But I thought some of them had moved to France?

Is the band still going then?

ETA: Actually, Chris Shaw of Gig CB would probably be able to put you in touch with other ceilidh bands even if Gig CB aren't available - I think he did once before when somebody was asking on here.

PM me if you want his contact details.

The Hole In The Wall pub at Waterloo (Mepham Street, SE1 ? right next to Waterloo station) has a great Irish session on Sunday nights from about 7pm onwards. Loads of ace traditional musicians play every week ? if you were to go along, I?m sure you?d find someone whose band could play at your party. In fact, I?ll PM you with contact details for William Barr, who organises the sessions ? I know he?s sorted out bands for private functions in the past.