Dog/fox noises- Friern Road

emza78

Have had it quite a lot this autumn/winter so far, in the roads between Felbrigg and Lordship Lane, at anything between 9pm and 5am. It's like a shrieking sound, and definitely foxes rather than dogs. They've not been around these parts for the last 2-3 weeks, though.

Short of calling in pest control, I don't think there is.

The noises can be disturbing when you are not quite sure what is going on and especially if you think it mght be a neighbour that is not monitoring/looking after a dog, but this is wildlife and they are just doing what foxes do. Now you know this you may find it easier to filter the noise out. I hope so. When I first heard these noises I thought something was being killed and eaten alive but now I know it's to do with mating, territory, looking after cubs, it doesn't bother me. In some ways it is nice to have some connection with the natural world in the city. Would good earplugs help?

emza78 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes that's it, it's foxes! Directly under our

> window and shrieking for 10-15 minutes at a time

> ALL through the night! Is there anything we can do

> to make them go away?

Male urine. Decant it using an old water bottle or similar in the affected areas. Should push the foxes out.

Modern foxes these days laugh in the face of piss. They have mutated into a new breed of super-fox.

In any case, you might be able to do your own, but getting piss into all your neighbours' gardens is a tricky business. Revellers en route home from The Adventure are usually happy to help out where they can.

emza78 Wrote:

> Is there anything we can do

> to make them go away?

Doubt it - from what I can tell, it's not as if it's rubbish in the street that's attracting them to the area, as they're just prowling around in the middle of the road.

Ask them nicely?

You can get electronic devices to deter foxes.

No idea if they work though. Some people seem to think they do, some people seem to think they don't.

I don't mind the foxes on the whole as I like the idea of wild-ish animals living in Sarf Lahndon, and the sound doesn't really bother me now I know what it is.

However I do curse them when they dig large holes in my very small garden, generally around the roots of treasured plants. GRRRRR.

It was nice when one year I had a couple of young foxes sleeping where I could see them from the kitchen window :)

Coming home late at night we once saw a fox making its way along the roofs of parked cars in Ulverscroft Road :)

We have a battery operated device called FoxWatch(I think) that we bought on the Internet for about ?80. Since installing it a couple of weeks ago, there has been a significant difference. Whilst we can still hear the occasional fox in the distance, the device seems to have stopped them from coming into our garden which massively reduces the number of times we get woken up by them!

Oh no. I hope it doesn't do any unnecessary harm to other animals. However, we have two dogs and it certainly hasn't stopped them from tearing round the garden. Our cat still happily sits out every day on the seat in the garden and the birds still visit the bird feeder each day so I certainly haven't noticed any adverse affect on other animals.

Lowlander Wrote:

> emza78 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

Is there anything we can

> do to make them go away?

>

> Male urine. Decant it using an old water bottle

> or similar in the affected areas. Should push the

> foxes out.

And leave any bottles you have left over in a neat stack near the junction of Crawthew Grove and Lacon Road...