dawsons hill saplings

fitch

My view of the new saplings which have been planted on the hill is first, great, but second that one of the main attractions of the site is the view and any trees planted need to be placed where they will not block the view when they are mature. There's an open area where people can toboggan and species of flowers that need open spaces can be allowed to grow that I think should be left clear.

It will be years before they reach that height and can be pruned to avoid such problems, I suppose. Also, they may be species that don't reach such height to be an inconvenience. I think a good portion of them are not likely to grow past sapling stage, as that is what happens to a certain proportion of all tube-encased young trees. I still do not know which people are behind the planting of them - council, local green organisation?

Ive just come back from the hill and seen a few saplings and those plastic tubes scattered around. I dont know if they've been pulled up or if its the wind but its such a shame. It's not too late to replant them. Does anyone know who I could contact to let them know and hopefully send someone there?

Pruning an oak tree once it gets big enough that we realise it may be about to block the view would need tree surgeons. Who would pay for that? It's much better not to plant them in the first place. A lower growing tree would be much better.

I think the view will have been taken into account. Also, I think the wind did for the saplings. I don't think anyone apart from mindless vandals would be uprooting them. We need more trees and I support their responsible planting and hope as many people as possible on the EDF do, also.

I agree with you Nigello. We need as many trees as we can get to re-wild our country and fight climate change.I think the trees are likely to enhance the view. I'm sure we will still be able to see the skyline as the trees would have to be really tall to block it.If I hear anything back from the Councillor I will post it here.

• 2 weeks later...
I spoke to the person who says s/he was the one to plant them who also said that people had purposefully pulled them up. When I suggested that the council, to whom the land belongs, ought to be consulted s/he said Southwark was not interested. My takeaway is that it is good to plant trees but not without the input of experts who are, on the whole, pretty sympathetic to improving green spaces, albeit within rules and budgets. I don't think that the trees (species of oaks) are likely to grow so fast and furious as to block out views this side of 2070, especially as they were planted in places this would less likely happen, so whoever pulled them up, for whatever reason, ought to consider their actions. (I suggested s/he talk to the local councillors who may be up for collaboration.) The person mentioned that the area was once part of a great wood, meaning, I think, that it ought to return to that state.