Southwark Parking Zones - increased charges from 1.4.21

Can someone please explain why Southwark Council are doubling the Annual Parking charges from 1/4/21 for non ULEZ compliant vehicles when TFL will not be extending the ULEZ zone until 25th October 2021?

It won't affect me but I think it's very unfair to people with older cars who cannot afford to buy new ones due to existing finance problems made so much worse thanks to the Covid-19 virus.

These next 6 months would hopefully give them some time to improve their chance of changing cars.

It seems once again Southwark Council are jumping in to grab as much cash as it can from its residents.

Because April is the first month of the financial year.

It is the first month of their financial year, but, just for the record, companies and other bodies can set their fiscal year whenever they want - many run January 1st to December 31st. Local authorities broadly match the governmental fiscal (which actually runs from 6th April to 5th the following year) because their budgeting year will then match the government's, but they generally end their fiscal years, I believe (certainly companies do) on 31st March.

The ULEZ was designed, wrongly in my opinion in terms of pollution, to allow older petrol vehicles (up to 16 years old) on the road without charge. For those driving in urban environments diesel cars make less sense. So there is no argument that it discriminates against those on lower means. That was under the original proposals, led by a certain Prime Minister when he was Mayor.

I love being rich and lauding over the impoverished in East Dulwich with their congested streets, and small gardens.

What tosh - do you know anything about the ULEZ? You can drive a six year old diesel or a 15 year old petrol car, hardly restricted to the rich. Please use this internet thingy to check out your facts before the knee jerk posts. It's not all fake news on line, so please don't post poorly informed views here.

ULEZ charge: is my vehicle exempt?

Vehicles that meet Euro 6 - introduced in September 2015 for cars and September 2016 for vans - are exempt, as are some models that met the standard earlier.

Almost every petrol car registered from 2005 and some registered between 2001 and 2005.

Unfortunately my 2004 Ford does not meet the emission requirement. According to my garage and recent MOT - it is perfect mechanically and is in good nick as I regularly have it serviced. I do not want to buy a newer car but will not have much choice. I have driven an automatic for the last 20 years and there is a shortage of good second hand automatics. Although since retirement, I do not have to use the car daily (I was an essential car user in order that I could respond to any emergency - also my work provided me with a Southwark wide parking permit) but calculating how I would be able to meet up with friends/family - would be in one case 2 buses plus a mile walk uphill, another 2 buses and mile and half walk, bus,train,bus then 15 mins walk. I also transport various elderly/disabled people to meetings and social events.