More holiday help needed - any good camp sites/gites in La Vende?

Bishberro

We we want to go to France this August with a 3-year-old and a 5-year-old and go via ferry as holidays with flights are working out too expensive and it's the first year we're tied to school hols. I can't quite be convinced to stay in a tent yet so we were thinking caravan/lodge thing or a gite set in a complex. Does anyone have any good camp sites or gites that they can recommend?

We'd like somewhere with lots of facilities on site like a swimming pool etc that's good for younger kids/toddlers and that's in walking distance to a beach and bars/restaurants. Does such a thing exist?? Thanks for your help.

You beat me to it - I was just about to post a very similar question!! Suspect that's not a good sign....how many others around the country are doing the same???

If you're thinking of the sites like Eurocamp / Keycamp use - with mobile homes rather than tents - I'd recommend finding them on the Eurocamp/Keycamp site them googling the name to find the original site and book direct. Usually it's cheaper and often you get better, bigger pitches.

We'd a lovely holiday last year in a gite in Brittany and kind of hoping to find something similar (4/5 units around a pool) but a bit further south to improve the chance of getting decent weather.

I was a Keycamp kids rep in a previous life and travelled all over Brittany and the Vendee working on various sites. The one I always said I'd go back to I I ever had kids ( and I have and am planning to!) is a lovely campsite called Camping Bel in La Tranche Sur Mer, Vendee. Lovely location on a huge sandy beach, lovely path walk into pretty town, great site with pool. Vendee has microclimate. Rained once in the 12 weeks I was out there. Bon vacances!

Kittysailing - that place looks perfect and great location, thank you. It also looks a lot less scary and Butlins-like than some of the huge campsites. My kids are too young to really appreciate somewhere with loads of activities.

It will be interesting to see if anyone has any gite options but I suspect they tend to be rural with a long drive to beaches and restaurants.

Camping Bel - friends stayed last year and said it was fab. You can try Eurocamp etc as loads have lodges etc now, but also look at the French chains; http://www.campingqualite.com/ and http://www.camping-castels.co.uk/ or maybe Club Med.

Vendee v good beaches.

I too was a Keycamp courier on a French campsite - Beg Meil in Brittany (it's huge now by the looks of it) but the local beach was lovely)..lasted 6 weeks before I dislocated my shoulder in a drunken incident...! But lots of fun!