Advice about dampness from guttering please

on_the_hill

Hi,

We've recently moved into a terraced house which is giving us this problem:

Our neighbour's house has developed a damp wall over the last 18 months and her insurance person came to diagnose it this week. Her diagnosis was that our gutter and drain pipe that runs along her house wall are making her wall damp.

I had someone to come and see if the gutter and drain pipe needed cleaning and he has said the problem is that it is missing the "stop" at the end, and therefore a lot of the water from the gutter is running down straight to her wall, creating the dampness.

Could someone recommend a roofer or similar person to give me a second opinion about this?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I should have explained - according to the guy who came round, the guttering isn't of a standard size or shape (for one thing, it is square rather than round) and we would need to come up with a customised solution. Replacing the whole gutter would also not be straightforward, as we share it with a terrace of three houses.

It is also four floors above ground level.

For safety, as the guttering is so high, you will need scaffolding. It is madness to expect someone to do the work off a ladder and against the law. I have in the past fashioned a stop end that wasn't a regular shape from wood, painted it with black gloss paint and then siliconed it in place at it was still ok after 5 years.

Try John at Aroofa 07791 069099

We had a similar problem, a cracked gutter 4 floors up. John leaned out of a nearby window and repaired it (obviously not the vertiginous type) You may not have a conveniently placed window but he might come up with some other solution for you.

Good luck

Helen

You will for sure need scaffolding. Best way is to contact chancellor scaffolding on the forum ad they can quote for you to have it scaffolded, then a plumber/roofer can fix part is small job, so by getting the scaffolding yourself you will save on the contracted putting their mark up on! If you need is to have a look for you or any free advice, just on us

Archived