Private rent with a dog!

LondonMix Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah, smoking is worse and some people are filthy.

> But all things being equal, someone with a pet is

> much more likely to do more damage to your home in

> a number of ways. I don't think my house smells

> like we have pets but I do know it smells of

> carpet freshner and febreze... We clean like mad

> but its a never ending battle.

Pet ownership does not increase the likelihood that someone will damage a property, although the presense of a pet may represent increased possibilities for damage. Confusing the two terms is a common rhetorical error, similar to confusing hazard with risk. There's nothing innate in the ownership of a pet that means the owner will be less responsible for the state of the property during and after a tenancy.

Littlemisssmith, I have 2 cats, and I rent through Roy Brooks. They have been very fair with us. We paid a slightly higher deposit and had a clause added to our rental contract to this effect. It states the following:

Pet Specified Allowed

The Landlord gives consent for the tenant to keep 2 cats on or in the premises. The tenant will be responsible for the proper care and control of said animal and for the reasonable costs or rectification of any damage or de-infestation etc., caused and for any cleaning, fumigation etc., required.

It definitely helped our case that we had references from previous landlords to say that our pets had not caused damage. Our landlady was initially reluctant (would have allowed 1 cat but not 2 initially), but the letting agency did intercede on our behalf.

If any repainting/wallpapering needs to be done when we move out, it might have been damaged by our toddler -- certainly not our cats. And if there's any fumigation, it's going to have to be for moths -- we have never had a flea infestation.

I hope that when we move again, we won't be hampered by our pet ownership, as we are really excellent tenants!

Good luck in your search. xx

saffron - thank you! I have lived in rented with a pet since i was 21 and have nothing but excellent references from my previous landlords. I always get any carpets professionally cleaned after the rental period and during as i myself dont live in mess like many comments above would suggest i do simply because i choose to have a pet!

I will definately add a private message on here and try roy brooks as well, i note the link to pet friendly rentals as well! Great!

Thank you all for the positive comments! Negative ones i would prefer you keep to yourself!

Archived