Squatters in old medical practice

Is anybody aware of the legalities of squatting (aka ?Guardian properties?)?

Sadly the old Melbourne Grove medical practice seems to have turned into a deleted scene from 24 hour party people (great film by the way) with very loud music and drug taking.

Call me a party pooper but not really appropriate along a street with families ... wondering how on earth permission would have been granted for this?

Guardian properties are not squats. Guardians pay rent for the privilege of living in commercial property, the fallout of a lack of affordable housing for rent. So do not confuse the two.

A rent paying guardian therefore has certain rights under the law, whereas a squatter does not.

Noisy parties can be reported to the noise team, if it still operates out of hours. Squatters can be removed by the property owner via court order and eviction.

The Guardian scheme is very good for people seeking cheap temporary, not so smart accommodation. My son lived in a ex NHS office block for a while paying rent and it really helped him out.

There doesn't seem to be a Guardian board up on the old surgery so if the owners haven't put it up for rental then shame on them.

As for drug taking and loud music at the parties there (like the one yesterday) it does give the Middle Class, well-heeled, professional, SE22 Magazine people of East Dulwich a taste of the earthy side of life!

I rest my case.

I had my fair share of the earthy life, then moved to Dulwich! So my point wasn?t so much about class warfare but what is appropriate for the neighbourhood. I?m not sure why that?s quite so controversial...

Anyway, amidst the rubbish and graffiti I found the attached notice and a notice of trespassing from the council.

I rest my case.

I think lots of people, including those who live in less affluent postcodes than se22 object to having anti social behaviour forced on them on their own doorstep. I also don?t see why it?s controversial.

Fair enough JDolman, none of us want that sort of bad stuff going on around here, I'm sorry to get on my, class, high horse again - but..

my family has had trouble with disruptive noise problems ourselves. Some years ago the up-market house next door was rented by Acorn to three smart professional men, one of whom installed a full size D J system in his bedroom next door to ours and we had to endure nights of loud music coming through the party wall. It was useless calling in Southwark, it would have taken months to deal with it and, as for Acorn, they supported their tenants and made us feel like trouble makers! I just ended up having to use strong language to our neighbours. Yes, as strong as it gets from the son of and Irish labourer and a cleaner ( my mum was the cleaner by the way).

Cheers.

JDolman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Anyway, amidst the rubbish and graffiti I found

> the attached notice and a notice of trespassing

> from the council.

>

> I rest my case.

Good that you have established they are squatters and NOT property guardians. Perhaps not you would like to amend your factually incorrect opening post too ;)