Please close the shop door and don't heat the street!

I doubt William Rose rely on having a door open in order to keep their products at the right temperature .

Refrigeration and chilling units work far more efficiently in a cool than a warm atmosphere - so by keeping the shop 'naturally' aid-conditioned during working hours in the winter, when people (generating about a half kilowat of heat each) are in the shop, less power will be needed for the refrigeration and chilling units in the shop to maintain the required low temperatures to store food safely.

The same would be true for Iceland.

William Rose would probably want to have the shop windows shaded and the door shut during a summer heatwave.

This news that leaving doors open allows heat to escape is certainly a revelation.

I wonder, I just wonder if it could be at all possible - that the various small businesses struggling along lordship lane with all the pressures, financial and otherwise, that running a small business entails - could have considered matters like this already; weighed up the pros on cons (type of shop and entrance, regularity of footfall etc) and come to a logical conclusion all of their own accord.

But I'm sure they'd be delighted to get some uber-patronising pointers from three Cambridge academics with too much time on their hands all the same.

Thanks George W. This sort of 'you're either with us or you're evil' logic turns me off. There will be plenty of people who care about the community and the environment who do not support your campaign or who focus their efforts on other campaigns.

Close the Door Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> For anyone who does care about their community,

> environment and the conditions staff are expected

> to tolerate in their local shops - not everyone it

> seems - there is plenty of research on the

> campaign website at the top of this thread. Re the

> question about revolving doors - these are

> excellent for conserving heat inside and allowing

> high customer traffic (so long as there is a good

> disabled entrance alongside as in some M&S

> branches) but with obvious downsides when it comes

> to space and cost.

OK I will spell this out.

It seems that Close the Door has assumed that people who don't support this campaign don't care about the environment, local community etc. In my case this is not true. Not only does this campaign not move me to support it, the tone of voice in which it has been communicated makes me want to actively object to it - despite my pretty decent green leanings. I suspect I am not alone in this.

Yes - in temperatures below 16 and above 24 degrees C it is easier to maintain CIBSE guidelines for healthy working conditions by putting on the heating/air con and closing the door. If heating/aircon are not on then the door doesn't need to be closed and natural ventilation will help.

I don't know about anyone else but it certainly makes a difference to me whether a shop has its door open or closed. I want to go in the shop, have a quick look around, buy something if it takes my fancy and then leave again. Having to open the door makes me far too conspicuous so I would tend to forego that impulsive browse and walk on by.

Yes - proper air curtains are disrupted by anything passing through the air current and therefore not suitable for entrances - they were originally designed for cold storage areas forty or so years ago. What most shops actually use are heaters over the door - the heat disappearing through the open door. Quite a few shops now just leave them turned off.